Head of Product Management, Fidelity Labs
- Boston, MA, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Fidelity Investments
- 19 Feb 18 2018-02-19
Head of Product Management, Fidelity Labs
Fidelity Labs is increasing its focus on incubating new businesses and has dedicated teams that work like start-ups within the organization. Using a combination of good old-fashioned ingenuity, and innovation methodologies such as Design Thinking and Lean Start-up, incubators take a customer-centric approach to problem solving, with a focus on rapid experimentation, and the permission to fail. More information can be found at www.fidelitylabs.com .
The Expertise We're Looking For
The Head of Product Management is responsible for developing, managing, and marketing a portfolio of new products and services incubated in Fidelity Labs. This person will need to be a proven business leader who has the ability to think strategically about market opportunities and innovation, and can help the incubators quickly get from concept to prototype to market-ready products. He/ She will need to have experience in building out world-class product teams with a focus on entrepreneurial talent and methods. He/ She will have at least 15 years of product management experience in a progressive and digital environment, likely within financial services or another regulated industry.
He/ She will have a demonstrated proficiency at applying innovation techniques to "real world" ideas with experience in frameworks like Lean Startup, Design Thinking, and Agile. The ideal candidate will have an executive level background and a strong business pedigree. He/ She will be experienced at attracting strong product talent to build a "best-in-class" product team. The ideal candidate will also bring experience of working within a matrix organization where relationship building is paramount, while at the same time being entrepreneurial and moving fast.
The Purpose of Your Role
Fidelity Labs is seeking to revolutionize customers' financial lives. Its passion for placing the customer at the center of everything it does is driving a transformational shift, and it is leading a digital and agile disruption to address customers' financial needs and goals.
The Head of Product leads a team of entrepreneurial-minded Product Managers, Business Analysts, and Systems Analysts. He/She will grow and mentor the team to ensure that each incubator is supported with the right level of business and product resources. He/ She will lead Fidelity Labs' product development activities and provide business leadership on all Fidelity Labs innovation programs. In addition, the Head of Product will be responsible for opportunity identification and evaluation and will have dedicated resources to execute on this responsibility. The Head of Product will be experienced with the full product lifecycle from opportunity identification and evaluation, early strategy, through product development, and launch in market.
As Head of Product you will be highly visible and will play an important leadership role within Fidelity Labs' Senior Management Team. As such, you will have the opportunity and responsibility to help monitor and shape the performance of the organization, taking on critical challenges and contributing to the overall strategy and success.
The Skills You Bring
- Setting Strategy
- Deep knowledge of core business strategy frameworks, competitive analysis, market definition, and market sizing.
- Ability to rationalize and frame a portfolio of new business incubation efforts to align to strategic goals.
- Sourcing and Evaluating New Opportunities
- Proven ability to identify new markets and new product opportunities
- Research and analytical skills to evaluate and compare opportunities
- Wide area thinking to synthesize ideas across industries and channels
- Product Development
- Deep knowledge of rapid prototyping techniques, Agile product development, and other product management business practices.
- Experience in persona development, product positioning, and requirements creation
- Track record of getting things done on time within tight deadlines and on budget.
- Comfortable dealing with ambiguity and change while cautious by understanding risks and threats.
- Ability to work in a highly entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment.
- Prior experience in launching new products to markets and/or creating new market categories.
- Experience in both B2C and B2B business models
- Broad toolkit of techniques to find product/product fit by testing growth and value hypotheses.
- Leading Teams
- Experience attracting, developing and retaining strong product management talent for a customer-centric company.
- Is an authentic leader who identifies with Fidelity's values, and possesses genuine passion for success and accountability for self and others.
- Ability to lead a matrix organization with both direct and indirect reporting lines.
- Experience being a mentor and builder of nimble and passionate teams.
- Showing perseverance in the face of challenges while being vulnerable in awareness of own limitations
- Relationship and influence
- Proven experience working in a complex environment where relationship building is critical, yet at the same time being entrepreneurial and fast-paced.
- Proactively seeks the views of others before making decisions while possessing excellent negotiation skills to achieve win-win outcomes that are in best interest of the enterprise strategy.
- Fully effective negotiation, facilitation and consensus building skills.
- Galvanizing through compelling influence while connecting by empowering and developing others.
The Value You Deliver
- Identifies new opportunity areas and evaluates and prioritizes them to help decide which opportunities to pursue
- Directs the product strategy across the incubators in Fidelity Labs, and ensure all product teams are delivering against the stage gates of the development process.
- Attracts, hires and leads high-performing product and analyst staff. Determines and manages staffing strategy and plan (number of FTEs, skills needed, depth of experience, internal and external staffing mix) consistent with the needs of the products.
- Identifies and implements best practices, new methods, and frameworks for improving the product team's performance.
- Drives build/ buy/ partner strategies, determining the best approach to product creation based on understanding the business drivers and product strategy.
- Oversees the new incubation process including positioning the portfolio of projects, improving the stage gate product process, and identifying opportunities to collaborate within Fidelity.
- Develops and maintains a network of industry contacts; performs or directs research on industry trends, competitors, business and IT products; analyses trends and makes strategic and tactical recommendations.
- Build relationships with core business line leaders to develop a deep understanding of core business platforms and work collaboratively to define an approach to integrating new offerings that balances speed and scale.
- Act as an external thought leader and brand ambassador for Fidelity Labs at customer events, conferences, and other forums.
How Your Work Impacts the Organization
Fidelity Labs's mission is to improve the financial lives of customers. Our approach is to identify important jobs to be done and then create business models that do them better than any other alternative. We are constantly scanning for ways to help customers. We then incubate those ideas from concept to scale. Fidelity Labs currently has a number of ventures at various stages in the pipeline - from deeply understanding the customer's job to be done, to designing and experimenting to find product/market fit to pilot and scaling. The goal is to create sustainable new businesses that directly improve our customers financial livesCompany Overview
At Fidelity, we are focused on making our financial expertise broadly accessible and effective in helping people live the lives they want. We are a privately held company that places a high degree of value in creating and nurturing a work environment that attracts the best talent and reflects our commitment to our associates. For information about working at Fidelity, visit FidelityCareers.com