Global Markets, Vice President & Counsel
Who we are looking for
Providing legal support to the securities finance business within State Street Global Markets is a challenging, and highly visible role within the legal department. The role is located in the State Street Financial Center in in Boston, MA and qualifications include:
Why this role is important to us
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school;
- License to practice in Massachusetts;
- 3+ years of experience in a major law firm, or equivalent in-house experience;
- Experience with securities lending, prime brokerage and/or credit agreements preferred but not required;
- Strong and sophisticated drafting and negotiating experience;
Securities finance is a key global business line within the State Street Global Markets organization. The person filling this role will be responsible for all aspects of supporting this business and its initiatives and client onboardings. What you will be responsible for
Providing legal support for all aspects of State Street's securities lending businesses, including its agency lending business, principal lending business (similar to traditional prime brokerage) as well as its leverage and liquidity business (a hybrid a securities lending and traditional bank lending). The candidate will be responsible for duties including the following:
- Drafting and negotiating legal contracts and documentation, including MSLA, bespoke agency and principal lending documentation and netting documentation and the ability to craft new forms of documentation for use globally as required;
- Collaborating with U.S. and global legal colleagues to effectively and efficiently onboard new clients;
- Conducting netting, enforceability, jurisdictional and other reviews;
- Advising on global applicable laws and regulations;
- Providing legal analysis in connection with changes to existing product offerings and new product offerings.
- Active involvement in the preparation of legal analysis to be put before internal new product approval committees;
- Assisting with regulatory inquiries;
- Providing legal support to senior global business colleagues;
- Managing consultation process with external legal counsel;
- Ensuring all internal legal templates, policies and guidelines are understood and implemented and are up to date against applicable legislation.
The above cited duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to the job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that an incumbent may be expected or asked to perform. What we value
These skills will help you succeed in this role
About State Street What we do.
- Results oriented with strong project management and execution skills;
- Strong interpersonal, communication and customer service skills with ability to sustain strong relationships with clients, peers and staff;
- Ability to interact with multiple levels in an organization and in multiple jurisdictions;
- Keen understanding of market practice impacting the business lines in the relevant jurisdictions and ability to work with business units to achieve practical solutions within applicable regulatory and risk parameters;
- Strong time management, planning and organizational skills;
- Ability to work independently but also thrive in a global, dynamic and team-oriented environment;
- Flexibility and an eagerness to learn;
State Street is one of the largest custodian banks, asset managers and asset intelligence companies in the world. From technology to product innovation we're making our mark on the financial services industry. For more than two centuries, we've been helping our clients safeguard and steward the investments of millions of people. We provide investment servicing, data & analytics, investment research & trading and investment management to institutional clients. Work, Live and Grow.
We make all efforts to create a great work environment. Our benefits packages are competitive and comprehensive. Details vary in locations, but you may expect generous medical care, insurance and savings plans among other perks. You'll have access to flexible Work Program to help you match your needs. And our wealth of development programs and educational support will help you reach your full potential. Inclusion, Diversity and Social Responsibility.
We truly believe our employees' diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspective are a powerful contributor to creating an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive and reach their maximum potential while adding value to both our organization and our clients. We warmly welcome the candidates of diverse origin, background, ability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and personality. Another fundamental value at State Street is active engagement with our communities around the world, both as a partner and a leader. You will have tools to help balance your professional and personal life, paid volunteer days, matching gift program and access to employee networks that help you stay connected to what matters to you.
State Street is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Discover more at StateStreet.com/careers