Global Industry Analyst, Biotechnology
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients. POSITION
We are seeking two (2) experienced equity analysts to join our Healthcare team within Global Industry Research (GIR). Based in Boston, the Global Industry Analysts (GIAs) will be responsible for conducting research and making recommendations on a subset of global biotech stocks respectively, as well as providing expert perspective on global biotechnology markets/trends. The ideal candidates will conduct fundamental research that leads to differentiated insights derived from asking innovative questions, anticipating trends, and identifying risks and potential disruptions in a rapidly changing industry. Over time, we expect that both roles may have portfolio management responsibilities for biotech research portfolios, and other client solutions. ESSENTIAL SKILLS
The following essential skills are required for each role:
- Investment acumen and passion - The GIA will have a deep understanding of the biotechnology industry and companies. The ability to identify mispricing and valuation discrepancies, make investment recommendations, and communicate their findings to Portfolio Managers globally, who manage long-only and hedge fund portfolios on behalf of our clients, is required. Overtime, the GIA will implement these recommendations directly through the management of research led portfolios. The ideal candidate will be passionate about markets with a demonstrated track record of successful stock recommendations. In addition, the GIA must exhibit a fundamental, research oriented, bottom up approach, supported by a strong investment philosophy and process and be able to implement ideas through an analytical framework.
- Superior collaboration and influencing skills - The successful candidate will be energized by being an individual contributor within a highly collaborative team and embracing the benefits of overlapping lines of company coverage and idea generation. The GIA will build strong trusting relationships internally with colleagues and externally with company management teams. The ability to take risk and challenge investment views is critical, as is the humility to admit mistakes and a desire to learn from others; the GIA must recognize the benefits of diverse perspectives. The ability to communicate (both verbally and in writing) action-oriented opinions clearly and with conviction, and contribute to an open investment dialogue, is important.
- Growth mindset - The flexibility and openness to continue learning, evolving and growing as an investor is required. The GIA will have a global perspective and creative approach for thinking about innovation and the next generation of the investment industry and evolution of the biotechnology sector within it.
Additional qualifications and characteristics include:
SKILLS JOB TITLE
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant experience analyzing stocks, preferably on the buy- or sell-side. Experience shorting equities is desired;
- Technical and scientific expertise in analyzing biotechnology companies;
- Service orientation with a fiduciary and client-centric mindset;
- Ability to remain focused and appropriately allocate time to "what matters;"
- History of professional achievement;
- Highest personal and professional integrity and ethics; and
- Superior academic credentials and track record: an undergraduate degree; a MD or PhD in a biomedical discipline is strongly preferred; and an MBA/CFA is desirable.
Global Industry Analyst, Biotechnology LOCATION
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .