Fixed Income Swing Trader
- Boston, MA, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Wellington Management Company, LLP
- 10 Dec 17 2017-12-10
Fixed Income Swing Trader
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 50 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
Tracing our roots to 1928, Wellington Management Company, LLP is one of the world's largest independent investment management firms. With US$1 trillion in assets under management as of 31 March 2017, we serve as a trusted adviser to institutional clients and mutual fund sponsors in over 50 countries. Our innovative investment solutions are built on the strength of proprietary, independent research and span nearly all segments of the global capital markets, including equity, fixed income, multi-asset, and alternative strategies. As a private partnership whose sole business is investment management, our long-term views and interests are aligned with those of our clients. We are committed to attracting a talented and diverse workforce, and to fostering an open, collaborative culture of inclusivity because we believe multiple perspectives lead to more informed investment and business decisions. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome people with diverse life experiences, fresh ideas, and specialized subject-matter expertise.
We are seeking to hire two (2) Fixed Income Swing Traders to execute orders from portfolio managers and analysts on behalf of our clients across our $480 billion global fixed income book of business. The Swing Trader will likely rotate and get exposure to a variety of asset classes across the desk depending on need. These are execution roles but there is significant opportunity and expectation to add value to client portfolios through collaboration with portfolio managers and analysts across the firm. Both positions will be based in Boston.
Wellington Management's trading philosophy and practices are based on the principles of seeking best execution, contributing to portfolio alpha, and managing regulatory, operational, liquidity and investment risks. We seek to execute orders in a manner consistent with these principles and in accordance with our written policies, which emphasize the fair dissemination, aggregation and allocation of investment opportunities across our investment platform and ultimately our clients.
Wellington Management's Trading Department employs approximately 60 traders globally, including 42 Fixed Income traders, and operates in specialized teams according to sectors and products. Our investment and trading activities are conducted on an industry-leading internally developed software platform, which we believe creates a meaningful competitive advantage. We are also supported by an in-house team of managers and quantitative and business analysts, who oversee the "business" of the department and provide in-depth, action-oriented insights into our trading capabilities and activities.
The Fixed Income Trader will be responsible for:
- Executing orders in a manner consistent with our best execution and risk management practices, as well as our policies and procedures;
- Gathering, analyzing, and disseminating market and security information that identifies or creates actionable investment opportunities;
- Developing, and enhancing over time, an in-depth understanding of the investment philosophies and strategies of the portfolio managers, strategists, and analysts we serve; and
- Soliciting potential trade interest from portfolio managers and locating external supply/identifying internal demand for liquidity opportunities in the market.
A successful candidate should have the following qualifications:
- 0-3 years of relevant trading experience;
- Strong academic credentials; a Bachelor's degree is required with a GPA of 3.3 or above;
- Demonstrated passion for investment management;
- Ability to work quickly and accurately in a fast-paced, dynamic environment;
- Strong organizational and communication skills;
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail; a precision and risk management mindset that results in accurate and compliant work and manifests itself in double-checking work, stopping to question anything unusual, and frequent reconciliation of work throughout the day;
- Strong analytical skills and an ability to apply those skills in a highly practical fashion;
- An attitude and practice of proactive idea generation and continuous review and improvement of our processes;
- Impeccable integrity, fiduciary mindset, and ability to consistently place the interests of our clients as the number one priority;
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience in a collaborative, team-based, results-oriented environment;
- A pro-technology mindset and the ability to leverage technology to improve effectiveness and efficiency; and
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, specifically Excel is required; experience with programming languages (SQL, Python, MATLAB, Stata, VBA, and/or C++) is preferred.
Fixed Income Swing Trader
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management considers all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at Wellington@icareerhelp.com .