Equity Institutional Portfolio Manager
Whether you're an investment professional, an expert in sales or a technology specialist, you'll find a culture at MFS that supports you in doing what you do best. Our employees work together to reach better outcomes, always favoring the strongest idea over the strongest individual. We put people first and show care and compassion for our community and each other. Because what we do matters - to us as valued professionals and to the millions of people and institutions who rely on us to help them build more secure and prosperous futures. Job Description Equity Institutional Portfolio Manager BASIC PURPOSE:
Using discretion and judgment serve as lead portfolio management representative for assigned products to internal and external clients. For the assigned strategies, take the lead role in strategically managing the business, partnering with distribution on investment-related client service and contributing to alpha generation. Act as a true investment professional who can credibly stand in for the portfolio managers with major institutional clients and consultants, retail due-diligence teams, large financial advisor audiences, etc. PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establish a credible investment-based relationship with the applicable Portfolio Management group; serve as an integral member of the investment team.
- Articulate investment style and portfolio strategy effectively to all audiences. Position the portfolios with consultants, clients and prospects; be able to communicate not only the record, but also the "message." Clearly articulate investment strategies and discuss specific holdings.
- Assume primary responsibility for portfolio management functions other than stock selection, including negotiating client guidelines for new accounts, management of cash in clone portfolios, management of customized portfolios (as well as internal and external marketing and client service as mentioned above). Maintain high level of proficiency on portfolio holdings and portfolio positioning by utilizing investment resources (analysts, portfolio managers, company meetings, industry conferences, etc.).
- Work with distribution channels to develop overall, long-term distribution strategy for each product (addressable markets/channels, key competitor analysis, market share and product capacity analysis, product profitability, required resources, etc.). Establish product availability and expand market share across appropriate distribution channels.
- Work with PMs to develop/define/refine investment philosophy and style. Develop materials (presentations, white papers) which validate style attributes. Identify and track metrics to monitor consistency of approach. Develop materials to help set appropriate client expectations and retain assets when style is out of favor.
- Provide regular investment updates (quarterly, annual) to distribution groups on performance attribution, significant transactions, and investment outlook.
- Contribute to investment team (as other portfolio managers do) by generating investment ideas, monitoring existing holdings, and managing risk by utilizing internal MFS fundamental and quantitative research, as well as attending company meetings, industry conferences, etc
- Contribute to the firm's sustainability initiatives and communications with clients including providing detailed engagement examples illustrating MFS' integrated approach to material E,S,G issues with companies we invest in.
- MBA and CFA Charterholder preferred.
- Minimum 7-10 experience in the investment management business, work experience as an Institutional Portfolio Manager preferred. Experience working with institutional clients, managing portfolios and following assigned markets preferred.
- Broad knowledge of the investment environment, economic trends, financial markets and competitive trends. In-depth knowledge of the US Equity markets in order to build credibility quickly and forge relationships throughout the organization.
- Detailed knowledge of E,S,G and sustainability considerations preferred.
- Strong presentation skills and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- High level of attention to detail; proactive and diligent in responding to business and client needs
If any applicant is unable to complete an application or respond to a job opening because of a disability, please contact MFS at 617-954-5000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
MFS is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and it is our policy to not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws. Employees and applicants of MFS will not be subject to harassment on the basis of their status. Additionally, retaliation, including intimidation, threats, or coercion, because an employee or applicant has objected to discrimination, engaged or may engage in filing a complaint, assisted in a review, investigation, or hearing or have otherwise sought to obtain their legal rights under any Federal, State, or local EEO law is prohibited. " Click here to view the 'EEO is the Law' poster and supplement ."