Director, Pension Strategist
- Boston, MA, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- MFS Investment Management
- 13 Nov 17 2017-11-13
Whether you're an investment professional, an expert in sales or a technology specialist, you'll find a culture at MFS that supports you in doing what you do best. Our employees work together to reach better outcomes, always favoring the strongest idea over the strongest individual. We put people first and show care and compassion for our community and each other. Because what we do matters – to us as valued professionals and to the millions of people and institutions who rely on us to help them build more secure and prosperous futures.
The Pension Strategist in the Investment Solutions Group will lead the research, deliver in depth analysis and policy recommendations for clients as well as develop and deliver thought leadership related to asset and liability issue for pension plans globally. The Director will analyze client trends and write/publish MFS's thoughts via client ready presentations, white papers, web, conference presentations and responses to client inquiries. Additionally, the Director will be involved in working directly on developing asset liability strategy and policy solutions for pension clients. This role will also require close coordination with clients' advisors as well the investment department and global product within MFS as it will involve the development of custom product solutions with an emphasis on fixed income. Using discretion and judgment, the Strategist will work side by side with our institutional, sub-advisory and retail relationship management and sales teams around the world to understand client challenges and issues and also directly with pension clients.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive ongoing research agenda program related to complex pension issues of most interest to clients. This includes the analysis of various industry trends, staying abreast of client preferences and asset owner investment behavior in pensions.
- Lead the development of MFS's thought leadership on pension asset and liability issues.
- Work closely with the capital markets team in leading asset allocation studies bringing to bear actuarial expertise related to client policy and asset/liability issues. Lead the development of asset and liability strategy recommendations for clients.
- Work closely with clients, their actuaries and investment consultants in the design and implementation of custom solutions. This could involve analyzing plan liabilities and the development of custom asset and/or liability benchmarks and working closely with the fixed income department on appropriate solutions.
- Develop and maintain deep defined benefit plan and liability subject matter expertise by participating and presenting at client meetings, conferences, networking, researching, analyzing, and developing thought leadership in chosen area of specialization.
- Will be expected to travel with distribution colleagues to present to clients, consultants and prospects.
- Develop training tools, videos, white papers and discussion guides to enhance MFS's distribution expertise and dialog with clients.
- Assist other teams (such as capital markets board) and regions within MFSI and perform additional duties as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree required; EA, FSA or equivalent pension actuarial certification required. CFA or MBA a plus.
- 10 years of investment consulting, actuarial consulting, OCIO, investment solutions, senior plan sponsor or multi-asset strategy experience required.
- Thorough understanding of pension actuarial issues is required. US pension regulation and actuarial practices is required. Familiarity with Canadian and UK pension regulation and funding and accounting rules is desirable.
- Ability to build and lead a highly qualified, efficient and technically oriented team is desirable.
- Ability and willingness to build asset liability models, spreadsheets, analyze financial statements, conduct peer group analysis is required.
- Experience with investment strategy, asset allocation implementation experience is required.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively and manage multiple tasks simultaneously within tight deadlines.