Director, Manager Research
Where you'll fit in & what our team goals are....
Responsible for conducting research and selection/oversight of investment managers to be used in Columbia Threadneedle's open architecture investment solutions as well as helping globalize and extend our $60+ billion USD Multi-Manager platform footprint.
This position conducts investment manager research and selection through a rigorous due diligence process for all investment managers in assigned coverage area.
The target candidate will have strong background in alternative investment strategies research/analytics, ideally with direct investment management experience.
Candidate must be able to independently manage search/selection activity and oversight of managers in a broad universe of asset classes. Candidate will also recommend and implement enhancements to manager screening, research and analytical processes with the goal of continuous improvement. Responsibilities How you'll spend your time....
Required Qualifications To be successful in this role you will have....
- Serve as lead analyst representing Columbia in due diligence discussions with current and prospective investment management firms alternative asset classes.
- Lead the subadvisor/multi-manager selection and due diligence process, including collaboration with cross-organizational groups tasked with decision making. Engage all stakeholders in the process while leading toward a consensus-based decision.
- Deep understanding of and experience analyzing alternative investment strategies.
- Lead the investment component of initial and ongoing due diligence with investment team at current and prospective investment managers. Structure interviews with investment staff including CIO, PM, Analysts, and Traders; doing so in a balanced fashion that obtains valuable insight quickly while maintaining a positive tone in light of challenging and difficult questions.
- Develop quantitative and reporting tools to objectively evaluate sub-advisory/multi-manager platform and screening processes with goal of finding areas for improvement.
- Work with portfolio management teams to support portfolio construction process, including optimal manager weightings, identifying manager factor exposures, attribution analysis, etc.
- Lead internal quarterly investment due diligence process for strategies serving as lead analyst. This includes manager recommendations (terminate or continue) and develop analysis to support the recommendation. Identify key facts and insights, sorting through significant information to do so.
- Lead development of materials for the fund boards' investment review committees, responsible for the accuracy for all content of internally-prepared materials and investment manager-prepared materials.
- Monitor trends in the capital markets, competitors, changes in people and ownership.
- Support Columbia's other Investment Solutions businesses, including multi-manager,529, etc.by performing due diligence and developing recommendations on nonproprietary funds for the program.
- Work with clients and consultants to develop investment guidelines and parameters to inform research and search efforts.
- Perform ad-hoc and ongoing surveillance of multi-managed funds' performance, people, process, and culture.
Preferred Qualifications If you also had this, it would be great....
- Previous investment management experience.
- Previous multi-manager research/selection experience.
- Deep understanding of various investment processes and organizational models employed throughout the asset management industry, and ability to compare current candidates with best in class firms.
- Ability to communicate complex and abstract concepts clearly and concisely, both written and verbally.
- Ability to interact with personnel at all levels of asset management and consultant firms and represent Columbia Management in a highly professional manner.
- Thorough familiarity with major analytical tools employed by analysts (FactSet, Aladdin, eVestment, Bloomberg, Morningstar, etc.)
About Our Company
- Progress towards or interest in pursuing Master's degree and/or Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Designation.
Millions of people around the world rely on Columbia Threadneedle Investments to manage their money. We're intentionally built to help our clients succeed, backed by a global team of 2,000 people including more than 450 investment professionals sharing global perspectives across all major asset classes and markets. At Columbia Threadneedle, you'll find the promise we make to our clients is the same one we make to our employees: Your success is our priority. In addition to our competitive total rewards package, employees stay with us because of our culture and commitment to their development. And, backed by the strength of our parent company, Ameriprise Financial, we are committed to providing you with the tools, resources, recognition and rewards to help you shape the career you want.
Ameriprise Financial is an equal opportunity employer. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, genetic information, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, gender identity, disability, veteran status, marital status, family status or any other basis prohibited by law.