Director, Industry Research, Americas
- Boston, MA, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Wellington Management Company, LLP
- 24 Mar 19
Director, Industry Research, Americas
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 50 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
The Investment Platform at Wellington Management Company is comprised of over 500 investment professionals across Investment Boutiques, Investment Research, Investment Strategy and Investment Science, geographically located in in Boston, Radnor, London, Hong Kong, Singapore and Tokyo.
Wellington Management's Global Industry Research (GIR) group delivers deep, differentiated research targeted towards areas of dispersion and alpha generation, across equity and fixed income. The group is organized into 12 teams, comprising of over 90 investment professionals including Global Industry Analysts, Fixed Income Credit Analysts and Research Associates globally. Today, our research team manages over $126 billion in sector, thematic and diversified portfolios, including long only equity and fixed income as well as hedge funds and private equity funds.
The Investment Research leadership team is responsible for ensuring Wellington has a world-class global research platform conducting deep, differentiated research with excellent investment results and the capabilities and products to meet the evolving needs of portfolio managers and clients now and in the future. We are seeking to add a Director to join our leadership team to work with a subset of research teams and lead global initiatives that will benefit our investment research. S/he will act as a steward for those independent investment teams while also working as part of a highly collaborative, global leadership team to unify the research platform globally and across asset class, perpetuate the investment focused culture, attract, retain and development talent and ensure the platform is long term oriented, flexible and adaptable to changing client needs and market conditions. This position is based in Boston.
Specific responsibilities will include, but not be limited, to the following:
Investment Capabilities & Talent.
Ensuring that we attract and retain the investment talent necessary to generate excellent research and investment performance:
- Building diverse and inclusive teams in which different perspectives, backgrounds and skill are embraced to improve idea generation and client outcomes;
- Providing ongoing guidance, coaching and feedback for both junior and experienced investment professionals (e.g. helping them have impact by focusing on long term, deep, differentiated research; counseling on team dynamics; finding solutions to 'pain points;' enabling effective communication and the interface between investors locally, regionally and globally; and utilizing firm resources, including technology;
- Succession planning including identifying talent needs/gaps and providing ongoing assessment of Analysts' investment skills/capabilities;
- Identifying and developing the research skills required in the future, including an alternatives skill set (shorting, absolute return mindset), investment science and advanced data skills, portfolio management capabilities, and risk taking; and
- Providing ongoing assessment of investment skill/capabilities and managing mid- and year-end performance and compensation review processes.
Investment Performance, Integrity & Risk .
Promoting idea generation and excellent investment performance in our research portfolios. Ensuring portfolios are taking risks consistent with client expectations and regulatory requirements:
Supporting Analysts to develop well-articulated investment philosophies and processes;
- Helping to provide risk management, fiduciary and supervisory oversight, and regulatory oversight;
- Ensuring a successful operational model for each Analyst's research and investment process;
- Managing investment capacity for each team and strategy; and
- Leverage the Analysts' time to ensure they are focused on their research agenda, generating excellent investment results and communicating their best ideas to the rest of the firm effectively and efficiently.
Infrastructure & Support.
Ensuring that the Investment Research platform has the necessary infrastructure and support to achieve its investment objectives and meet our fiduciary and regulatory responsibilities:
- Ensuring necessary infrastructure and support is in place;
- Participating in new product development discussions globally and across functions; and
- Connecting and collaborating with key support areas (Trading, Product Management, Legal and Compliance, IT, Global Relationship Group) and across regions to ensure effective end-to-end investment processes.
The successful candidate will have a passion for investing, demonstrable problem-solving skills and ability to thrive in highly collaborative team oriented environment. S/he will be the utmost fiduciary and be laser focused on helping Analysts deliver differentiated research and excellent investment performance. It is critical that the ideal candidate be an empathetic leader with the strongest ability to build trust based relationships with investors. S/he will also possess the following qualifications:
- 15+ years of relevant professional experience;
- Outstanding collaboration and leadership skills; ability to work successfully with very experienced, passionate investors and with multiple functions across the firm;
- Proven experience of attracting, retaining, developing and motivating investment talent and fostering a diverse and inclusive team, oriented towards coaching and delivering feedback;
- Superior organizational skills; ability to manage, prioritize and complete multiple projects simultaneously; focused on results;
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills with ability to articulate and integrate numerous viewpoints and mobilize/influence across firm;
- Ability to navigate stressful situations with poise, focused on being a calming presence, active listener and pragmatic problem solver;
- Prior management experience of investors and/or first-hand investment experience, either as an Analyst or Portfolio Manager, would be advantageous; and
- Strong academic credentials; MBA and/or CFA (or equivalent) is ideal.
Director, Industry Research, Americas
Investment Management (IM)
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management considers all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at Wellington@icareerhelp.com .