Director, External Product Manager, SMA Tech
Description About this role
This position on AWT's SMA Tech team is a multidisciplinary, specialized, and hands-on product role. Our SMA Tech team sets and executes the technology roadmap for BlackRock's SMA business, building out a growing platform for outsourced personalized portfolios. As part of its technology approach, the team engages significantly with external players in the SMA and wealth ecosystems, including via partnerships, acquisitions, and vendor relationships.
The External Product Manager requires unique expertise - part product manager, part industry strategist, part relationship manager, and part technologist. This individual will identify and execute opportunities to accelerate our roadmap and improve our offerings through such external engagements, harnessing their technical acuity, fluency in and insights into the wealth management ecosystem, and knowledge of financial advisors. About SMA Tech
SMA Tech is a product team within BlackRock's Aladdin Wealth Technology (AWT) organization that builds a digital platform for a high-growth product area: Separately Managed Accounts (SMA) and model portfolios. Our vision is to push the boundaries on mass personalization to deliver personalized portfolio management and informative experiences for financial advisors and end investors. Key Responsibilities
- Marketplace Expertise : Knowledge of the needs of wealth management firms & their advisors. Able to find partnership opportunities amongst wealth tech providers, as well as identify competitors and how we may position our offerings for success in market.
- Product Management. Ability to author and execute on ambitious and achievable roadmaps, to prioritize among competing opportunities, and to drive execution with UX and engineering counterparts
- Commercially Oriented : Understand the economics of the wealth market, technology firms, and BlackRock, with the end goal of identifying commercial partnerships that we should pursue
- Technical acumen : Able to identify unique and commercial differentiated capabilities and frame decisions between organic and inorganic approaches to technology development. Able to envision and design technically feasible integrations, leading detailed specification work with our product and engineering teams, and considering user experience, operational scale, and implementation cost
- Ability to execute : Drive execution of implementation projects with wealth tech partners, leading cross-functional teams of product, engineering, design, legal, marketing, and sales to bring our visions to life
- Relationship management : Serve as the primary point of contact for several our Aladdin Wealth Tech partners and vendors, fostering and maintaining strong relationships with senior executives at those firms, and ultimately responsible for the success of our engagement with those firms.
- 5+ years of meaningful experience, ideally in wealth management or asset management, with commensurate fluency and relationships across the industry
- Experience working within an implementation, technology product, or client-facing role within the US wealth market
- Track record of establishing commercial relationships with clients, ideally centered on technology
- Proven ability to lead projects affecting many functions, including product, engineering, operations, compliance, and sales. Ability to direct major cross-functional initiatives with effective prioritization and influence
- Experience in collaborating creatively with clients, product teams, and technical resources to craft and deliver technology solutions
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize market feedback to suggest new product improvements or markets for our offerings
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to deliver presentations and communicate up and down the organization
- Strong interpersonal, problem-solving and planning skills
- Strong technical abilities with an ability to get in the weeds where vital
- Bachelor's degree required
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.