Director, Compliance,Asset Management
In Compliance, we help our Business Partners achieve their strategic priorities by promoting principles and practices that build client trust and safeguard the integrity of the Firm. We accomplish this through providing advice and guidance to our business partners regarding the applicability of rules and regulations. We are currently offering the opportunity for a dynamic and engaging Compliance Professional to join our Charles Schwab Investment Advisory, Inc. (CSIA) Compliance Team as a Director. The Director will serve as a key Compliance Business Partner and assist the Chief Compliance Officer in developing, maintaining and administering the Compliance Program for CSIA as a registered investment adviser under Rule 206(4)-7.
CSIA is part of the Schwab Asset Management Solutions (SAMS) organization that includes two SEC-registered investment advisory firms – CSIA and Charles Schwab Investment Management (CSIM) which are wholly-owned subsidiaries of the Charles Schwab Corporation, with offices in San Francisco, CA, Boston, MA, Chicago IL and Denver, CO. Our mission at SAMS is to provide the highest quality portfolio advisory services and research on investment managers to SAMS’ and Charles Schwab’s clients and the advisors who serve them. SAMS is responsible for managing the Schwab mutual funds, Schwab ETFs, ThomasPartners Strategies, which invests primarily in dividend paying stocks from companies that it believes have the ability to grow their dividends, the Windhaven Strategies, Schwab Managed Portfolios and Schwab Intelligent Portfolios (“SIP”) which are diversified asset allocation portfolios comprised of either mutual funds or ETFs. SAMS also performs the manager research and evaluation functions for Schwab's Managed Account Select platform, researches and identifies funds/ETFs for Schwab's lists such as the Mutual Fund OneSource Select List and also researches equities for Schwab’s lists such as Schwab Equity Ratings. This growing team has diverse backgrounds which encompass quantitative financial research, investment manager due diligence, and portfolio management and trading.
What youre good at
The Director of Compliance for SAMS will report directly to the Chief Compliance Officer for Charles Schwab Investment Advisory (CSIA). This position will have responsibilities relating to all aspects of the Investment Advisers Compliance Program created under Rule 206(4)-7. This is an Independent Contributor role.
In addition to broad responsibilities related to the SAMS Compliance Program, the Director of Compliance will:
- Build relationships with Compliance, Risk and Legal Colleagues and key Business Partners including investment management, client and relationship management, trading and operations, sales and marketing and product management.
- Serve as the Subject Matter Expert on a variety of specific compliance topics.
- Serve as advisor to governance committees.
- Oversee, execute and/or support specific functional responsibilities that support the Compliance Program including:
- Advice and support for Trading and Operations (including Best Execution)
- Advice and support for the Client Service Team and the Client Portfolio Managers for the CSIA direct business of Windhaven and ThomasPartners including coordination of response to regulatory guidance related to servicing clients at Schwab and other custodians.
- Broad advice and support for the ThomasPartners Strategies
- Advice and support for Committees (Compliance and Operating Risk, Trade Management, Policy and Oversight)
- Oversight, advice and support for the CSIA and Compliance RCSA
- Review, support and guidance of Sales and Marketing programs and initiatives.
- Regulatory filings and registrations
- Portfolio compliance and guidance to both portfolio managers and trading.
- AML/OFAC Program
- Assess proposed regulations for impact on the business, and develop and implement procedures to address relevant changes.
- Additional projects and tasks based on business need and potential coverage gaps.
- Review and update the Compliance Manual and related desktop procedures.
- Participate in cross-affiliate projects.
- Oversee development, annual review and participate in the presentation of compliance training.
- Support and participate in regulatory exams and internal audits.
What you have
- A Bachelor’s Degree, (CFA, CFP or Series 65 preferred).
- 6 - 8+ years 7 years of experience with working knowledge of the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 and other federal securities laws governing investment adviser compliance programs.
- Advanced communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to express oneself clearly and influence effectively, with all levels of an organization.
- Ability to think strategically with sharp analytical skills and strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work independently, and within a geographically dispersed team while managing multiple complex projects.
- Ability to independently identify opportunities to improve and enhance the compliance program.
- Ability to identify and solve complex issues in a team environment working with various levels of management and business partners.
- Experience writing, maintaining and revising policies and procedures.
- Experience working with Compliance Risk Assessments, portfolio compliance oversight and trading teams.
- Proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Highly effective organizational, prioritization, and time management skills.