Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
We are transitioning to a hybrid work environment where both remote work and the office play a critical role. Our vision is a future where all employees are empowered to work flexibly to drive the best outcomes for our clients. Flexible work is a mindset and a core value. Our employees are encouraged to work remotely two days a week as a standard practice and will have flexibility in terms of working hours. POSITION
In support of our business in the US and globally, we are currently seeking to recruit a high quality lawyer to join our legal team in the US, as Counsel in the Investment Platform Legal Team. This individual will provide legal support, advice and counsel to investment teams and business teams across Wellington Management's global investment platform. The role reports to the leader of the Investment Platform Legal Team in Boston, but will require significant collaboration with, and support for, colleagues and functions located across the globe in EMEA and APAC.
Responsibilities will include:
- Providing or overseeing legal support for Wellington Management's investment and trading business activities,
- Advising on regulatory, fiduciary, risk and other issues related to portfolio management and trading activities,
- Support of capital markets activities across a wide range of markets and asset classes, with a focus on equities,
- Advocacy and engagement with regulators and industry groups,
- Providing legal advice to project teams in various areas,
- Managing external counsel support, and
- Counselling business colleagues.
The successful candidate is likely to have:
SKILLS JOB TITLE
- 5-8 years of legal experience, preferably at top law firms or in-house legal roles,
- Good business judgement, and strong counselling skills,
- A pragmatic and risk-aware approach to practicing law, and the ability to prioritize in a fast-paced environment,
- Broad securities and asset management experience, ideally with experience providing support to investment adviser portfolio management and/or trading teams,
- Experience in transactional work (equity, fixed income and/or structured finance),
- Strong legal and analytical skills,
- The ability to manage and oversee different approaches to providing legal services, e.g. outside counsel, project work, etc.
- The ability to represent the firm effectively with external clients and regulators,
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to effectively distill and communicate complex issues in a dynamic environment,
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team environment with a global mindset,
- Creativity and ability to work under pressure, and
- A sense of humor and real humility.
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .