Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients. POSITION
We are seeking an experienced Counsel to join our Private Investments Legal Team, which provides holistic advice and support throughout the lifecycle of our private funds (product development, fund formation, portfolio company investments and exits, fund wind-down). Counsel will work closely with other members of our global team to support Wellington Management's expanding private investments business. Wellington Management has been investing in private markets since 2003, and the firm launched its first dedicated private capital fund in 2014. Today the firm manages approximately $5B across four private equity funds, with plans underway to expand into new private equity strategies and other private asset classes.
Provide legal advice and support for Wellington Management's private investments business, including strategic advice and counsel to senior business leaders and investment professionals on a wide range of activities and issues. Collaborate with internal colleagues and external counsel to advise on the structuring, launch and maintenance of early- and late-stage private equity funds; the development of new products focused on private credit and other private asset strategies; and the structuring and negotiation of portfolio investments. Other responsibilities will include providing advice on legal and regulatory developments, collaborating with Compliance partners to develop risk policies and controls as the business expands into new activities, overseeing external fund and/or deal counsel, and contributing to team projects to grow scalability of our fund and deal lifecycle support.
SKILLS JOB TITLE
- 8-12+ years of experience practicing law
- Experience at a national law firm or relevant in-house position
- Broad-based securities and asset management experience, ideally with experience advising senior investment and/or business professionals
- Strong counseling and analytical skills, judgment and an ability to balance risks and opportunities
- Experience navigating regulatory risk and conflicts in asset management across private and public markets preferred but not required
- Experience in some facets of transactional work (fund formation, equity, fixed income or structured) preferred but not required
- Ability to manage and oversee different components of legal services, e.g., outside counsel, paralegals, alternative legal providers, etc.
- Creativity and ability to work under pressure and deadlines
- Ability to represent the firm with external clients and portfolio companies
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to effectively distill and communicate complex issues in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently in a global team environment
- Ability to help develop and grow contributions of early career professionals in the team
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .