Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 55 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients. POSITION
Counsel will be part of a team responsible for all facets of support to the investment and trading activities of Wellington Management's business.
Provide legal advice and support for Wellington Management's investment and trading business functions. Specific activities may include providing general counsel and advice on regulatory, fiduciary, risk and other issues related to portfolio management and trading activities, supporting public and private market investment activities across a wide range of asset classes, advocacy and engagement with regulators, managing and overseeing external counsel support, and counseling business colleagues. Counsel will contribute to the design and implementation of the team's evolving transactional support model, partnering with a range of internal and external resources. The role is based in the United States but will include advice on activities around the globe and collaboration with colleagues based in our EMEA and APAC offices.
- 8-12+ years of experience practicing law
- Experience at a national law firm or relevant in-house position
- Broad-based securities and asset management experience, ideally with experience advising senior investment and/or business professionals
- Experience navigating regulatory risk and conflicts in asset management context preferred but not required
- Experience in some facets of transactional work (derivatives, equity, fixed income or structured) preferred but not required
- Strong legal and analytical skills
- Good business judgment and strong counseling skills
- Pragmatic and risk aware approach to practicing law
- Ability to manage and oversee different components of legal services, e.g., outside counsel, paralegals, alternative legal providers, etc.
- Creativity and ability to work under pressure and deadlines
- Ability to represent the firm with external clients and portfolio companies
- Proven written and verbal communication skills; ability to effectively distill and communicate complex issues in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently in a global team environment
- Ability to help develop and grow contributions of early career legal professionals in the team
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to r ace, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic
protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .