Associate Analyst, Equity Research
Perform in-depth industry analysis and research, managing independent research projects as required, performing relative value analysis for a variety of security types, analyzing and integrating industry trends into actionable recommendations, gathering relevant data as appropriate, incorporating analysis into research recommendations, and performing financial modeling of security, company, and industry information and assumptions. Responsibilities
• This position works with the fundamental equity analyst group performing foundational research activities in support of portfolio management teams and senior analysts. The role supports senior analysts across multiple sectors and will include conducting research studies of industry groups or specific securities and developing quantitative decision-making models. The person in this role may conduct independent research; attend company meetings, trade shows and conferences as needed.
• The incumbent will work under the direction and management of senior analysts within the group.
• Over time, the person in this role may be asked to cover specific sectors and make investment recommendations under the supervision of senior analysts.
• This is an entry position into the investment research field with the expectation of a career track in equity research for successful candidates.
• Extensive use of Excel for modeling/spreadsheet purposes, gathering research for new investment recommendations, assisting in preparation of industry reviews, listening to conference calls, attending company roadshows, doing Internet searches, and generally assisting senior analysts with requests. Required Qualifications
• 1-3 years of professional experience in the fields of buy or sell-side equity analysis, investment banking, management consulting or engineering.
• College degree required preferably majoring in Finance, Economics, Math or Engineering.
• Ability to analyze large data sets and draw thoughtful and concise conclusions from that analysis.
• Proven ability to perform foundational research tasks on specific securities, companies and/or industries. This includes building historical company and sector financial models and forecasting key financial metrics based on independent work.
• Ability to communicate results effectively in both written and verbal presentation.
• Ability and desire to work within a team environment. Preferred Qualifications
• Pursuit of the CFA designation.
• Experience with Excel VBA, SQL Server/Access databases, and any statistical/mathematical programming language such as R, Python or Matlab.