Assistant Counsel - Transactions
Whether you're an investment professional, an expert in sales or a technology specialist, you'll find a culture at MFS that supports you in doing what you do best. Our employees work together to reach better outcomes, always favoring the strongest idea over the strongest individual. We put people first and show care and compassion for our community and each other. Because what we do matters - to us as valued professionals and to the millions of people and institutions who rely on us to help them build more secure and prosperous futures. Job Description PURPOSE:
The Assistant Counsel provides legal counsel and assistance with respect to transactional matters, including front-end and distressed investment analysis and assistance with related regulatory processes, policies and procedures. Review, monitor and resolve related legal and regulatory issues as they pertain to assigned matters and other projects/areas as determined by the Legal Department. Principal Responsibilities:
- Advise investments professionals in connection with workouts, restructurings, bankruptcies and asset sales related to existing investments.
- Negotiate and interpret transactional documents, including investor letters, consents, waivers, amendments, forbearance agreements, confidentiality agreements, indemnity agreements, lock-up agreements, bank trading documents and related investment documents.
- Provide legal analysis relating to investment opportunities, including structured products and conventional bond financings, and provide guidance regarding collateral, structure, counterparty risk, payment waterfalls, covenants and other provisions relevant to investment analysis.
- Assist with regulatory initiatives relating to transactions, including investment sanctions compliance, and adherence to internal policies and procedures.
- Work with and oversee the work provided by outside counsel on legal matters ensuring that standards for service delivery and cost are met.
- Assume additional responsibilities as required.
- Bachelor's Degree and Juris Doctorate Degree required. Must have at least two to five (2 - 5) years of directly relevant work experience as an attorney at a law firm or in investment management, financial services or industry-related firm.
- Must be a member in good standing of a state bar, and maintain good standing for all necessary license(s) and/or professional qualifications.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, communication and problem-solving skills. Must be able to write effectively, and present research, analysis and conclusions in a persuasive manner. Must have excellent attention to detail.
- Proven ability to exercise judgment, pursue initiatives and implement changes necessary to align functional area with strategic/long-term goals of MFS and of the Legal Department is required.
- An understanding of business operations and practices, procedures and controls specific to the business units supported is required as is the ability to apply same to dealings with the business units supported. Must maintain awareness of best practices and evolving issues within the scope of the position, and able to relate same to MFS' operations and practices.
- Must be proficient in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and able to develop proficiency in MFS systems as required to perform the duties of this position. Must be able to conduct on-line research and to utilize applicable tools. Must employ and embrace the use of technology in performance of the job.
MFS currently requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, except employees who are entitled to an exemption from vaccination as an accommodation for medical or religious reasons.
If any applicant is unable to complete an application or respond to a job opening because of a disability, please contact MFS at 617-954-5000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
MFS is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and it is our policy to not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws. Employees and applicants of MFS will not be subject to harassment on the basis of their status. Additionally, retaliation, including intimidation, threats, or coercion, because an employee or applicant has objected to discrimination, engaged or may engage in filing a complaint, assisted in a review, investigation, or hearing or have otherwise sought to obtain their legal rights under any Federal, State, or local EEO law is prohibited. " Click here to view the 'EEO is the Law' poster and supplement ."