Abandoned Property Intern
The role includes a variety of responsibilities under the Global Operations & Investor Services Department. During this internship, you will have the opportunity to support both the Tax Oversight Team and the Abandoned Property department to provide a range of experience and exposure to colleagues and assignments. Responsibilities
Abandoned Property Intern Responsibilities:
• Web research, call, email and mail targeted shareholders in an attempt to reunite them with abandoned property and prevent escheatment; document and report actions; escalate issues.
• Interact with key stakeholders which include shareholders with abandoned property, vendors, and colleagues
• Support efforts to identify opportunities for earlier outreach to prevent abandoned property status
• Review and compare system settings to industry interpretation of state law based on established matrix
Support the Tax Oversight team in providing tax compliance for the Columbia mutual funds.
Tax Oversight Responsibilities :
• Provide ongoing mutual fund tax compliance, review and file federal and state tax returns for complex funds; develop and monitor fund tax policies; and determine and monitor dividend and capital gains tax distribution requirements for complex funds and products.
• Calculate tax adjustments and determine fiscal distributions to shareholders. Prepare and files all required tax returns and related schedules with the IRS.
• Provide project leadership with ad hoc requests and or projects from within team, other departments, portfolio managers and external auditors. Potential merger analysis, fund liquidations, launching of new products, etc.
• Provide ongoing oversight on complex mutual funds for tax compliance through establishing and managing relationships with internal and external business partners.
• Provide information to portfolio managers for capital gain tax management. Required Qualifications
• Sophomore or Junior status enrolled at a 4-year College or University
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Organized, reliable, detail-orientated and self-motivated.
• Ability to work both independently and with a team.
• Time management skills and ability to prioritize tasks.
• Willingness to learn.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel