SQL Database Administrator
The SQL Database Administrator (DBA) provides advanced database services supporting the data environment and acts as a key database services expert across IT and Business units. The SQL DBA also develops, implements, maintains and enforces policies and procedures for database systems administration and supports the Corporate Data Management and Data Governance programs.
- Participates in the creation and maintenance of the Enterprise Data Strategy Plan.
- Provides knowledge, design, and direction assistance to support a hybrid environment of on premise and cloud based database environments.
- Provides support in the creation of 'big data' related analytical platforms.
- Provides expertise in the support of complex cross-platform database migrations and data governance activities.
- Leads database management activities, such as database upgrades and migrations.
- Prepares documentation relating to compliance operating procedures, architecture and projects.
- Performs software review, evaluation, recommendations, design and implementation for database management tools.
- Provides advanced database troubleshooting expertise.
- Leads database disaster recovery design, implementation and monitoring.
- Mentors other team members related to advanced database management processes and techniques.
- Ensures that documentation related to compliance, operating procedures, architecture and projects is correct and readily available.
- Provides off-hour support for production environment and in some cases development and testing environments for high visibility/priority projects.
- In-depth server and database services supporting the Horace Mann data environment.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Performs administrative and technical duties associated with the development, support, tuning and maintenance of the database environments.
- Migrates data between database environments, includes development, testing and production.
- Performs administrative duties associated with the support, tuning and development of databases.
- Provides database troubleshooting support.
- Performs critical database functions such as database upgrades, performance analysis and optimizations.
- Assists with defining, implementing and managing the database disaster recovery solution.
- Acts as a mentor to other team members as s key resource for database management functions such as; database review, design, maintenance and implementation.
- Develops and maintains database performance alerts and leads effort to troubleshoot issues.
- Assists with the preparation of documentation relating to compliance, operating procedures, architecture and projects.
- Requires Bachelor's degree or more than 5 years related experience in database administration.
- 5+ years of relational database experience in Microsoft SQL Server, DB2, and/or other relational database server platforms.
- Previous experience with AWS RDS/SQL and NO-SQL database instances and related services desired.
- In-depth knowledge of relational database platforms with an enterprise view of the data domain.
- Expertise with developing ANSI SQL and T-SQL queries.
- Prior management of medium to large sized data projects, components, or larger projects.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Creates and presents reports and proposals to internal and external audiences.
- Creates presentations and reference model architecture documents to support the data management program.
- Creates formal technical documentation to transfer administrative knowledge to others.
- Translates technical documentation, specifications and procedures.
- Conveys technical and complex information to other in non-technical terms.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without Employer Authorization
Horace Mann Educators Corporation
Horace Mann was founded in 1945 by two teachers who saw the need for quality, affordable auto insurance for teachers. Since then, we've broadened our mission to helping all educators protect what they have today and prepare for a successful tomorrow. And with our broadened mission has come corporate growth: We serve more than 4,100 school districts nationwide, we're publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange (symbol: HMN) and we have nearly $10 billion in assets. For more information, visit the Horace Mann website at
As a leading insurance and financial services company focused on meeting the evolving need of public K-12 teachers, we are growing rapidly and have a number of exciting positions available right now.
EOE/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Direct Hire Only