Wealth Planning Associate
What is the opportunity?
As a Wealth Planning Associate with RBC Wealth Management you will be part of the Wealth Planning Associate (WPA) program is a structured 24-month development program designed to provide the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed at RBC in various roles, such within a Financial Advisor or Wealth Consulting Team role, with a specialization in Wealth Planning to deliver a consistent experience in support of the organization's goals-based wealth management strategy. What will you do?
What do you need to succeed? Must-have
- During the WPA program period, you will learn from wealth planning experts, top Financial Advisors (FAs) and develop the skills necessary to become a successful wealth planner at RBC.
- In addition to rigorous proprietary training, you will successfully obtain one of the accredited wealth planning designations (CFP preferred, other targeted credentials would be considered, CFA, CPA, AWM).
- The WPA educational component combines e-learning, case studies, virtual group work, and hands-on training to educate you on the RBC product and service offerings as well as RBC's Wealth Planning process and related tools. You are expected to obtain your Series 7 and Series 66 (if not already licensed) and begin pursuing your designation. You will also join other AWPs and AFAs from across the country for a week of intensive on-site training in Minneapolis, MN.
- The next phase of the WPA Program focuses on the application of the knowledge and skills you acquired. In addition to ongoing development through virtual classroom sessions, online modules and case studies, you will begin working directly with an FA and their team in an assigned territory. This will include working both in the Minneapolis home office and the local Division/Complex (metro) territory. Additionally, you will complete your credentials coursework and capstone project during this phase.
- During the next phase of the WPA Program, you will be partnered more closely with a group of FAs or assigned to a team(s). In this phase, you will contribute regularly to the development of RBC WealthPlans and present plans to clients. You will proactively engage FA teams and lead financial planning meetings to deliver advice and wealth management solutions to meet the needs of each client. This phase is very hands on and will include a mentor from the Wealth Planning Group. You will complete the credential educational component and progress towards certification exam.
- At month 24, upon successful completion of the the WPA Program and your credential plan, you will be eligible to join an FA team, establish yourself as a new FA in the local market, or pursue a role within the Wealth Consulting Team. There will be opportunities to continue your technical development as a cohort of the the AWP Program.
- In your new role, you will understand and communicate the benefits of engaging clients in a goals-based relationship, drive productivity by using best-in-class tools to deliver an exceptional client experience, and along with the financial advisor, provide comprehensive wealth management advice to your team's existing client base while attracting new clients. This will include conducting discovery conversations, talking through wealth plan results, illustrating solutions and conducting annual reviews. The foundation of knowledge and skills you acquire as both an WPA and AFA will differentiate you in the marketplace as a true wealth manager and prepare you for a successful career as a FA or a role within the Wealth Consulting Team.
- Bachelor's degree with emphasis in personal finance preferred
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation and relationship skills and some who is self-motivated and possess strong critical thinking and analytical skills
- Series 7, Series 66 or ability to obtain shortly after starting
- Accredited wealth planning designation (CFP®) or ability to obtain within two years of start date
What's in it for you?
- Demonstrated understanding of the financial planning process and industry planning tools
- Proficiency with Word, PowerPoint and Excel (formulas, graphs, pivot tables)
- 2+ years of financial planning or closely related experience in the financial services industry, preferably with a broker-dealer or other large financial advisory firm
- Securities, Advisory and Insurance licenses
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, progressive thinking to keep growing, and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
- Client First: We will always earn the right to be our clients' first choice
- Collaboration: We win as One RBC
- Accountability: We take ownership for personal and collective high performance
- Diversity & Inclusion: We embrace diversity for innovation and growth
- Integrity: We hold ourselves to the highest standards to build trust
WMUS2019 Join our Talent Community
Stay in-the-know about great career opportunities at RBC. Sign up and get customized info on our latest jobs, career tips and Recruitment events that matter to you.
Expand your limits and create a new future together at RBC. Find out how we use our passion and drive to enhance the well-being of our clients and communities at rbc.com/careers .