Data Technology Delivery Manager – Job Description
Northern Trust is looking for a Data Technology manager to provide day-to-day management and leadership for the Wealth Management Data Management team. The scope of responsibilities spans the entire project lifecycle from strategy and planning to project initiation, execution, tracking, and closure.
The role is also pivotal for client satisfaction, project delivery, project financials, and execution of strategic data architecture initiatives. Tech Delivery Managers must be able to understand technical details and system functional complexities in order to lead all members of the project team and drive technical tasks with the development team.
They must also manage the dayto- day relationship with business product owners and key stakeholders. This includes responsibilities to establish, maintain, and grow relationships with business throughout the lifecycle of a project. The role includes the need to identify technical tasks, work breakdown, project milestones, and execution risks as part of the day-to-day development activities.
Tech Delivery Managers must be able to generate and validate project estimates across the lifecycle of the project (requirements, design, development, etc.) Northern Trust Technology Managers are intelligent problem solvers with strong written and verbal communication skills. Candidates must be self-starters, able to quickly learn and apply new knowledge in a fast-paced, business-driven environment. Managers work at a high level but can also dive into technical details with team members as necessary.
Technical Data Management Understanding
• Data Management technologies including Oracle relational databases running on Exadata infrastructure and /or DB2 running on mainframe
• Understanding of available database performance tuning techniques and testing
• Experience with various data modeling styles including different levels of operational data normalization, data warehousing concepts
• Knowledge of data management concepts including Master Data Management and Reference Data Management
• Implementation experience deploying multiple styles of data interfaces for batch services and APIs for stored procedures, web services, and data streaming
• Maintain a leading-edge understanding of new and emerging technologies and their potential application for the organization
• Demonstrate ability to interact with differing levels of technologists to understand solutions, strategies, and development estimations
• Experience in one of more of the following solution sets: corporate sites, consumer sites, eCommerce sites, B2B and B2C sites, reporting applications, mobile applications or employee portals Program / Project Management
• Determine the project approach and methodology that best suits the task requirements and team dynamics
• Demonstrate understanding and experience with a variety of methodologies from Agile to Waterfall to hybrid models
• Facilitate project scope discussion, negotiate release phases, and product road-mapping.
• Provide estimation and planning across the project lifecycle resulting in project plans and detailed project tracking controls
• Have a deep understanding of the core discipline roles involved in delivering solutions, including Strategists, Developers and Architects
• Work with project managers to present project status and project updates to key stakeholders
• Manage day-to-day project operations serving as both the functional / domain and technical delivery expert on the project team • Provide quality oversight on all project deliverables prepared by the project team • Identify, quantify, mitigate, and manage risk to project delivery
• Provide quality assurance on project documents and deliverables, including knowledge repository management
• Build and motivate teams by helping individuals maximize their potential
• Conduct team engagement reviews and mentor colleagues Functional Experience
• Demonstrate experience developing strategies for achieving business goals, including the development of maturity models, product roadmaps, and strategic short- and long-term plans
• Demonstrate experience in requirements gathering and functional design
• Demonstrate experience managing and executing testing, including defining appropriate test approaches; writing test plans, scenarios, and scripts; executing testing; managing functional resources in their execution of test scripts; reporting on and communicating test status; and managing the resolution of defects Communication
• Facilitate client working sessions and lead recurring project status meetings
• Serve as the liaison between internal / external teams, and keep all parties informed of project updates, decisions, actions, issues, and risks
• Be organized and structured in written and oral communications with an ability to level communications appropriately for the target audience (from internal team meetings to C-level presentations)
• Demonstrate ability to set and manage expectations
• Develop long-lasting, trusted advisor relationships with the business
• Be able to work with practitioners from technical disciplines (DBAs, Server Admins, Network Engineers, Data Modelers) and business disciplines (Portfolio Managers, Marketing Managers, Sales Executives).
• Coordinate discussions on behalf of the technical teams in user experience, visual design, quality assurance, and business disciplines to coordinate activities and drive toward a high quality deliverable
Nice to Have
• Understanding of Wealth Management concepts or related knowledge of Financial Services
• PM certification (PMP, Scrum, etc.)
• MBA or Masters degree in Information Technologies