Client Solutions Project Management Team Lead – Front Office Solutions
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and over 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve! We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018.
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. Build your career with us and apply today.
FRONT OFFICE SOLUTIONS PROFILE
Front Office Solutions is a new strategic business for Northern Trust, which provides a holistic digital+ service offering for some of the most sophisticated institutional investors across the globe, including foundations, endowments, pension funds, corporations, insurance companies, central banks and sovereign wealth funds. As asset owners engage in more complex, data-driven investment approaches to asset allocation, their operational needs and demands for high quality data have skyrocketed. Front Office Solutions provides a holistic, full-service, multi-asset solution that aims to empower in-house investment teams and support their important mission by providing a more comprehensive set of operational services and analytics including portfolio management, investment decision support, operational risk management, CRM / document management and workflow tools.
As Front Office Solutions continues to grow and attract complex asset owners with complex requirements, project management capabilities will be integral to supporting all facets of the bespoke onboarding and BAU processes. Similarly, project management and reporting capabilities will be essential to managing the full spectrum of client relationship management and governance. Finally, Project Management will support the Head of Client Solutions in leading and facilitating any and all special initiatives such as operational build, process improvement, risk management, and training.
In order to create comparability and consistency across the Client Solutions team, project management will be centralized under the Project Management (PM) Team Lead reporting to the Head of Client Solutions. The Practice Lead, Head of Client Solutions is responsible for delivering the Front Office Solutions’ products and services to FOS clients in an evolving marketplace. The Practice Lead and this supporting PM team will need to continuously manage, evaluate, and innovate in order to anticipate future requirements for existing and prospective clients.
Head of Client Solutions – Support
The PM Team Lead is responsible for supporting the Practice Lead, Head of Client Solutions in the execution of any and all responsibilities under the purview of the Practice Lead. Highlights of those responsibilities are provided below.
• Planning: PM Team Lead will be responsible for supporting planning and prioritization across responsibilities covering current and prospective client needs and organizational requirements.
• Products & Services Delivery: The PM Team Lead will support development of a philosophy and approach to products and services across Client Tiers, guiding client servicing and helping manage clients’ expectations. The PM Team Lead will also support development of best practices with respect to client servicing deliverables.
• Client Relationship Management: The PM Team Lead will have an extensive role in supporting client relationship management.
* Client Onboarding – Assessment, Review, Planning, Resourcing, and Contracting
* Client Needs – Identification, Analysis, Fulfillment, and Tracking
* Client & Leadership Meetings and Special Client Presentations
* Development Enhancements – client-requested or broad-based
* Standardized Client Support through standardized client documentation and practices
* Contractual documentation and fee management
• Client Governance / Oversight: The PM Team Lead will support the Head of Client Solutions in overseeing all of the client relationships, including development of a client relationship monitoring dashboard. Oversight will be qualitative and quantitative and will incorporate KPI metrics where applicable. Attention will be paid to linking client feedback to tangible action plans. The PM Team Lead will also support the Head of Client Solutions in reporting to leadership with regard to the larger Voice of the Client (VOC) initiative. Finally, the PM Team Lead will also help support the FOS Client Advisory Group and its programming.
• Sales & Relationship Management (RM) Communications: The PM Team Lead will facilitate reporting on client servicing work to support the sales effort and NT relationship management communications.
• Data Analytics: The PM Team Lead will support the development, use, and interpretation of data analytics associated with each client relationship. Servicing analytics will be developed and maintained to help gauge operational efficiency, link directly to the staffing framework, and support the pricing model. KPIs will be developed for each client to gauge client servicing effectiveness. Finally, Objectives & Key Results (OKRs) will be introduced in 2021 (John Doerr model).
• Risk Management: A comprehensive risk management assessment process will be implemented in Operations including development of a risk management monitoring dashboard / scorecard. The PM Team Lead will help ensure that controls and procedures are followed and properly tracked in order to support ongoing due diligence reviews.
• Operations Strategy: The PM Team Lead will help facilitate the bridge between Client Solutions and Ops Strategy over a range of key strategic initiatives, including building scale, establishing operational efficiencies, managing a solid control environment, establishing and supporting global operations, and integrating FOS with other NT capabilities.
• Supporting Complex Clients: Supporting complex clients will be a hallmark of Front Office Solutions and an essential component of FOS’s service model. More skills and complex problem solving will be required to support complex clients, the Project Management Team will be front and center of this effort.
• Product & Product Strategy: Additional enhancements continue to be made to the Parilux desktop and Web App; these are product-driven, Operations-driving, and client-driven. Considerable management will be required to track the different development channels and integrate enhancements into current client servicing work across the group. Product coordination will also be critical with the future, planned migration of Parilux to the Web App.
• Training & Technical Documentation: Training of the Client Solutions team and FOS clients is regarded as a significant component of Front Office Solutions’ products and services, especially given that Client Solutions team members and the clients both use the Parilux and Web App toolsets. While a dedicated team will be primarily responsible for training and the development of technical documentation, Client Solutions and the PM Team Lead will play a significant role in providing guidance and interpreting requirements. Importantly, the Client Solutions practitioners will be necessary SMEs to help validate materials and test out training efficacy.
• Core Tools & Supporting Tools: While the PM Team Lead will not be expected to have an in-depth knowledge of the tools, a cursory knowledge will facilitate the Team Lead’s effectiveness.
• Client Solutions Team Management: The Practice Lead, Head of Client Solutions will be responsible for a large, growing team as FOS builds scale. The PM Team Lead will support those growth efforts and will grow the Project Management team proportionally to complement this growth and expansion.
Project Management Team Responsibilities
In order to support the responsibilities delineated above, the Project Management Team Lead would be directly responsible for a team of project managers supporting the Client Solutions team pods and the Client Solutions team special projects and initiatives. This structure will enable the desired consistency across the group.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
• Project Management experience.
• Knowledge of project management and planning toolsets, such as Microsoft Project.
• Experience creating dashboards and developing project metrics.
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Suite (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint).
• Basic understanding of institutional investment industry, including markets and investment instruments.
• Basic understanding of investment operational processes, including transactional impacts, cash movements, and accruals.
• An understanding of accounting / reporting methods, including IBOR, ABOR, and TruNAV to support complete and accurate data capture.
• Knowledge of performance measurement concepts. Understanding of performance benchmarks and their use.
• Ability to apply operational business practices and coordinate with other closely related areas to improve efficiency.
• Ability to explain information, convey performance expectations and handle sensitive issues.
• Minimum of 5 years of relevant / applicable experience executing complex, project management work.
• Demonstrated experience leading teams on complex projects.
• Demonstrated experience coordinating resources and setting daily priorities to meet operational objectives.
• General understanding of FOS’s data analytics work.
• Appreciation for / understanding of the client base FOS serves: complex asset owners including Endowments, Foundations, Family Offices, OCIOs, Pension Funds, Sovereign Wealth Funds, and institutional asset managers.
• Understanding of client servicing requirements and expectations, either through client servicing experience or direct client experience.
• Prior work experience requiring considerable organizational, planning, project management, and prioritization skills.
• Solid experience with the full range of communication skills – written and oral.
• B.A. or B.S. degree.
• Advanced credentials – CFA, CAIA, MBA, or CPA preferred.Additional Information