About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
Working with Us:
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018.
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. Build your career with us and apply today.
The Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) Organization within Northern Trust Technology provides critical functions to the enterprise managing all virtual desktops. In addition, the VDI organization provides central architecture, decommissioning and deployment of virtual desktops.
We have an exciting opportunity for a VDI Architect who is responsible for the successful design, planning, and deployment of Virtual Desktop technologies used by Northern Trust. This is highly technical and 'hands-on' visionary role. The VDI Architect will lead the development, specification and communication of VDI architectures used by multiple business or application systems. The lead Architect is to provide in-depth technical consultation to the clients, partners, and IT Management to develop plans and directions to assure the integration of corporate business area requirements. Provides training to other application or infrastructure architecture staff. Will lead initiatives to improve and enhance the virtual desktop ecosystem.
1. Thoroughly understands decision process issues of technology choice, such as capacities, response time, data interfacing, client server communication, etc.
2. Provides technical expertise at the highest level.
3. Participates in the building of new and on-going vendor relationships.
4. Promotes sharing of expertise through consulting, presentations, and documentations, etc.
5. Evaluates and selects from existing and emerging technologies those options best fitting business/project needs.
• Develops and improves virtual desktop infrastructures architecture
• Designs and defines system architecture for new or existing VDI Infrastructure
• Analyze users requirements, concept of operations documents, and high level system architectures to develop system requirements specifications
• Lead the direction and strategy for the VDI architecture/design to ensure the operational needs are being addressed for today as well as future growth
• Provide expertise in various areas including Virtual Desktop Interface (VDI), desktop design, and works closely with other infrastructure towers to ensure network, end user computing, security, Citrix and converged infrastructure (Nutanix) needs are met
• Partners with various stakeholders (Infrastructure and Application towers) and be responsible to assess and deliver a VDI architecture and ensure current and future state needs are met
• Partners with VDI Engineer and various Infrastructure & Application tower leads to assess new technologies (e.g. upgrades, Win10, O365, and Cloud) and solutions that may be leveraged for the enterprise.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related discipline and at least five, typically seven or more years’ experience in information system architecture methodologies, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
• Requires an extensive knowledge of application or infrastructure systems architecture, usually having experience with multiple system technologies.
• Excellent consultative and communication skills, and the ability to work effectively with client, partner, and IT management and staff.
• Strong project management skills and a strong analytical ability.
• Knowledge of multiple application or system programming languages.
• Deep experience with Citrix Suite of Applications
• Deep understanding of VDI Architecture
• Emerging Cloud technologies (Azure, Horizon or Frames)
• Deep knowledge of Active Directory
• Windows desktop architecture
• Hyper converged infrastructure (Nutanix) knowledge