Reporting to the Head of Commercial Development, the Senior Commercial Development Manager is responsible for providing technical expertise in the development, review, and implementation of sophisticated financial structures. This is a commercial support and control position within Refining and Products Trading – Americas (RPTA) Finance. It will be accountable for facilitating origination and delivery of functional assurances related to the financing activity executed in support of our commercial initiatives.
The role is accountable for managing a range of commercial and functional issues in support of the RPTA growth agenda, specifically as it relates to the development and implementation of financial structures supporting our growth initiatives.
- Provide input into deal structures and terms to maximize benefits for bp
- Analyze and challenge financial models and assumptions used to calculate project returns.
- Maintain working relationships with commercial and functional teams across bp businesses to gather relevant input to business cases and to provide decision makers with balanced information about potential transactions.
- Drive functional assurance commensurate with the risk of the activity, effectively identifying risks and mitigation strategies to decision makers.
- Project manage the implementation of opportunities from inception through operation, including developing a project plan, guiding relevant resources throughout the process, and ensuring successful delivery.
- Support implementation of major endorsed commercial strategies, (e.g. Latin America strategy, Biofuels, Commodity Strategies, Low Carbon, Affiliate business support)
- Provide support in executing the Assurance and Approval Operating Standard by supporting the Head of Commercial Development in the preparation of business cases (AtNs and FMs), economics, and approval documents that comply with bp standards and facilitate selection of the best opportunities for bp.
Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s preferred
Essential Experience and Job Requirements:
- Minimum 10 years of related experience in areas including commodity trading, finance, or structuring.
- Specialist expertise in some of or all of the following:
- Prepayments, Pre-Export/Export Finance
- Reserve Based Lending, Asset Based Lending
- Project Finance, Receivables Securitization, Receivable Discounting, Supply Chain Financing
- Inventory Financing, Trade Credit Insurance, Credit Structuring, Risk Syndication, and/or Accounting Policy
- Experience evaluating or implementing tolling agreements, equity-like transactions, and/or Non-Operated Joint Ventures.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to coordinate activities across multi-disciplinary teams without formal authority.
- High level of energy and passion towards new challenges.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to build and maintain productive working relationships and to influence individuals at all levels within the organization.
- Comprehensive understanding of project economics.
- Strong commercial acumen.
- Strong understanding of key controls used in Trading & Shipping to mitigate risks.