Security Governance Advisor
Cyber Security Governance Risk Advisor Chicago, IL, USA/en-US/External/job/Chicago-IL-USA/Cyber-Security-Governance-Risk-Advisor_R200014263/apply
111 W Monroe - 115 S LaSalle
Job Family Group:
The Financial Crimes Unit (FCU) brings together our Cybersecurity, Fraud, Physical Security and Resilience Planning capabilities to address the ever-growing and increasingly complex global security environment. It is a highly collaborative effort that greatly enhances BMOs ability to rapidly prevent, detect, respond to, and recover from all security & crisis threats. This position offers a unique experience to learn from experienced leaders in the industry, join a team building the 21st century model for security and helping grow the good by protecting our customers and communities
You will be supporting the business/group leader in the effective implementation, maintenance and administration of first line of defense (1st LOD) programs (e.g., operational risk, AML, compliance, regulatory, etc.), including overseeing business operations within the jurisdiction to ensure adherence and efficiency. In addition, you will contribute to the strong risk management culture through collaboration with other first line employees, and second & third line functions to ensure Compliance, AML or operational risks are identified, mitigated, monitored and reported on an ongoing basis.
***This role can be based in one of 3 locations: New Jersey USA (Berkeley Heights), Chicago (USA), or Toronto (Canada). Candidates should currently reside of one of these locations.
- Supports multiple, varied business units with corresponding number of regulators.
- Monitors and advises on management of risk requirements within the defined risk appetite.
- Manages/supports large/complex risk programs/frameworks /projects/initiatives to ensure risks are appropriately mitigated and regulations adhered to.
- Monitors industry and legislative developments and continuously updates programs to ensure they are competitive and effective
- Supports the position on regulatory compliance Issues by interpreting requirements (existing, new and emerging) and identifying, analyzing and addressing resultant gaps and issues, including those raised through the review of change initiatives. Understands the identified risk exposures and supports the development of action plans required to mitigate identified risks.
- Acts as a subject matter expert in the evaluation, development and implementation of an internal control system.
- Supports the execution of strategic initiatives in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Builds effective relationships with internal/external stakeholders.
- Breaks down strategic problems, and analyses data and information to provide insights and recommendations.
- Builds change management plans of varying scope and type; leads or participates in a variety of change management activities including readiness assessments, planning, stakeholder management, execution, evaluation and sustainment of initiatives.
- Monitoring to ensure that 1st line jobs are following defined processes and procedures.
- Develops, documents and maintains business/group procedures updating and obtaining approvals as regulations or the operating environment changes and communicates changes to the business/group & relevant stakeholder groups.
- Designs measurable sustainment strategies including assessing and recommending mitigations for industry/ segment-specific risks and prioritizing opportunities presented by internal and external stakeholders.
- Tracks exception/exemption requests and corresponding approvals.
- Facilitates training to ensure business unit employees fully understand requirements.
- Provides quality control for investigations, self-reports, examinations and independent reviews conducted by internal and external stakeholders, including regulators, providing verbal and written responses to requests for positions, action plans, information and/or documentation
- May act as the designated Primary Business Unit Compliance Officer (BUCO) and/or Anti-Money Laundering Reporting Officer for the operating group and is accountable to meet all program requirements (e.g., Operating Group Compliance Program, AML Program Framework).
- Builds awareness, knowledge, and skills and, as necessary, provides communication, practical tools and ongoing support including making presentations, to promote a culture of risk identification and management.
- Supports the management of 1st LOD program for the business/group in compliance with appropriate principles, standards & direction from the second line of defense groups. Includes developing and promoting program and ensuring the execution of all program components.
- Works with assigned business/group leaders to implement 1st LOD programs and frameworks, developing and maintaining an in-depth understanding of the applicable regulatory and internal risk management requirements. Interprets and provides advice on the application of the requirements for the business/group.
- Develops and maintains an understanding of the business/group strategies and objectives, products and services, internal and external stakeholders and business processes as well as the underlying infrastructure to identify and manage implications and risk exposures for the business/group.
- Identifies, investigates, analyzes, documents & mitigates program risks, taking into account jurisdictional issues, and raises any issues or concerns to senior leaders and other stakeholders.
- Analyzes the impact and effectiveness of the program through periodic reviews.
- Recommends adjustments to the overall program, policy or processes within the business/group in accordance with the Risk Appetite Statement, Governance and Corporate Policy.
- Supports the business/group through internal/external audits or regulatory examinations and assists in development of action plans to resolve any identified issues.
- Provides support to the development and delivery of training and awareness programs within the business/group to increase awareness of and compliance to risk management requirements.
- Focus is primarily on business/group within BMO; may have broader, enterprise-wide focus.
- Provides specialized consulting, analytical and technical support.
- Exercises judgment to identify, diagnose, and solve problems within given rules.
- Works independently and regularly handles non-routine situations.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
- Min of 5+ yrs of experience in Governance, Risk, and Compliance
- Strong preference for Info. Security Risk Audit experience
- Excellent experience with MS Excel and the analytical functionality within Excel such as Pivot table analysis, What If Analysis, Conditionals Analysis etc...
- Strong data manipulation and analytical skills
- Typically between 5 - 7 years of relevant experience and post-secondary degree in related field of study or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Program management skills - In-depth.
- Deep knowledge and technical proficiency gained through extensive education and business experience.
- Verbal & written communication skills - In-depth.
- Collaboration & team skills - In-depth.
- Analytical and problem solving skills - In-depth.
- Influence skills - In-depth.
- Data driven decision making - In-depth.
Were here to help
At BMO Harris Bank we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO Harris Bank team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one for yourself and our customers. Well support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, well help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at
BMO Harris Bank is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each others differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. BMO Harris Bank N.A. is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Posted 4 Days AgoFull timeR200014263 BMO Financial Group
Serving customers for 200 years and counting, BMO is a highly diversified financial services provider the 8th largest bank, by assets, in North America. With total assets of $728 billion as of October 31, 2018, and a team of diverse and highly engaged employees, BMO provides a broad range of personal and commercial banking, wealth management and investment banking products and services to more than 12 million customers and conducts business through three operating groups: Personal and Commercial Banking, BMO Wealth Management and BMO Capital Markets.
We serve Canadian clients through BMO Bank of Montreal®, our personal and commercial banking business, BMO Nesbitt Burns®*, one of Canada's leading wealth management firms, and BMO Capital Markets, our North American investment and corporate banking division.
In the United States, clients are served through BMO Harris Bank, a major U.S. Midwest personal and commercial bank, and BMO Private Bank, with wealth management offices across the United States, as well as BMO Capital Markets, our North American investment and corporate banking division.
We help our customers make money make sense by delivering the broadest range of financial services through a single point of contact. Our financial service professionals provide access to any services our customers require across the entire enterprise.