Manager Software Engineering, Globex
- Chicago, IL, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Chicago Mercantile Exchange
- 12 Oct 18
Responsible for leading a team that drives and executes the strategy for technology advances in CME’s electronic trading platform, Globex. This individual is responsible for leading projects for the Globex Match Engine systems.
CME Group: Where Futures Are Made
CME Group (www.cmegroup.com) is the world's leading and most diverse derivatives marketplace. But who we are goes deeper than that. Here, you can impact markets worldwide. Transform industries. And build a career shaping tomorrow. We invest in your success and you own it, all while working alongside a team of leading experts who inspire you in ways big and small. Joining our company gives you the opportunity to make a difference in global financial markets every day, whether you work on our industry-leading technology and risk management services, our benchmark products or in a corporate services area that helps us serve our customers better. With 2,500 employees located around the world, we're small enough for you and your contributions to be known. But big enough for your ideas to make an impact. The pace is dynamic, the work is unlike any other firm in the business, and the possibilities are endless. Problem solvers, difference makers, trailblazers. Those are our people. And we're looking for more.
The Manager of Software Engineering role is responsible for leading a team that drives and executes the strategy for technology advances in CME’s electronic trading platform, Globex. This individual is responsible for leading projects for the Globex Match Engine systems that must achieve a unique blend of ultra-low latency performance, the capacity to seamlessly facilitate the busiest trading days in the world economy, and rock-solid reliability and integrity, all while undergoing rapid release cycles.
Achieving these goals will require an understanding both the underlying technology and the development, testing, and deployment lifecycle of the applications. The candidate must be able to solve problems creatively, communicate effectively, and possess the ability to lead others to achieve the critical mission of the team. We’re looking for an accomplished team manager in this role who will be responsible for 8 + permanent staff members and a scalable team of 15-20+ consultants.
- Demonstrates advanced language proficiency; Contributes to the architectural vision of the company. Mentors development staff and influences enterprise technology decision-making;
- Demonstrates expertise in Design and Analysis patterns and identifies architectural best practices, promoting them within the division and company-wide.
- Demonstrates understanding of trade-offs relative to simplicity and complexity; Ensures code reviews and discussions are completed; Reviews environment build deployments, release notes, and build notices.
- Enables unit and systems testing through tools and enterprise perspective.
- Independently manages a team accountable for engineering secure, scalable and reliable technology solutions.
- Oversees development of designs for all aspects of the application their team is responsible for delivering.
- Oversees and manages work across multiple geographically distributed teams
- Manages priorities across a diverse set of concurrent projects and initiatives
- Implement team-wide processes to improve communication and throughput
- Some continued hands-on software development as needed (java or c++)
- 8+ years of Java or C++ experience, preferably in a low latency or financial services environment.
- Experience working with high throughput, high availability and fault tolerant applications
- Strong analytical ability and problem-solving skills
- 5 + years of experience managing others, mentoring and coaching junior developers and testers
- Experienced in managing scalable teams of vendor contract consultants over long-term projects
- Experience working with a globally distributed workforce and managing tasks across multiple offices
- Effective communication of complex problems in a clear and concise manner
- Proficiency in statistics and performance modelling preferred
- Knowledge of DevOps and Cloud computing preferred
- Demonstrated ability to dive in and "get hands dirty" as needed