Jobs and Careers at Thomson Reuters
- Products & Services
- Risk Management Solutions
- Intellectual Property
- Pharma & Life Sciences
- Reuters News Agency
- Scholarly & Scientific Research
- Tax & Accounting
- Our Jobs
- What We Do
- Recent Graduates & Interns
- > Senior Associate Editor, Litigation (Illinois) - Chicago, IL
Bring Your Passion Senior Associate Editor, Litigation (Illinois) Job Description
Practical Law is looking for a Senior Associate Editor to research, draft, edit, and publish Illinois content for its Litigation web service. The Senior Associate Editor will:
- Work with Illinois Senior Legal Editors to draft, edit, and update Illinois-specific litigation resources, including practice guidance notes, checklists, standard documents, and other state-specific legal content in accordance with Practical Law writing style.
- Stay current on and analyze legal developments, court rules, and other potential topics for the Illinois Litigation service.
- Edit Illinois-specific litigation resources to conform with Practical Law’s writing style.
- Develop ideas for new Illinois state litigation content to be published on Practical Law.
- Work with Practical Law editors on drafting, editing, and updating brief bank summaries and other resources concerning federal litigation practice.
- Liaise with external authors regarding original contributions and updates of Practical Law resources.
- Provide additional editorial support for the Litigation service as required.
- A J.D. degree and three (3) to six (6) years’ experience working as a litigation attorney in a law firm or as in-house counsel, and general expertise in Illinois state litigation procedure.
- Extensive experience drafting, filing, and serving litigation-related documents.
- Enthusiasm, ambition, and intellectual curiosity, with a desire to improve the efficiency of legal services.
- A good understanding of the needs and priorities of law firm attorneys, in-house counsel, and the legal market in general.
- Strong communication skills and an ability to work in a close-knit team.
- Strong work ethic and ability to meet deadlines.
- Very close attention to detail.
- A passion for writing and good editing skills, including:
- impressive command of grammar, punctuation, and plain English; and
- the ability to write about complex legal issues clearly and simply.
- Knowledge in the following areas is strongly preferred:
- Illinois state court civil procedure;
- Illinois electronic filing rules and procedures;
- local court procedures (e.g., how to commence an action, how to schedule a motion presentment date);
- documents required for particular court filings and other litigation events; and
- commercial litigation.
- Experience in the following areas is strongly preferred:
- drafting litigation documents such as pleadings, motions, discovery requests, and appellate briefs;
- serving and filing court documents;
- conducting electronic discovery;
- taking and defending depositions;
- arguing motions and other applications in Illinois state court;
- counseling clients in litigation avoidance, mitigation, management, and settlement; and
- alternative dispute resolution.
*This role has the ability to work in a remote location if not located near an office.*
Candidates selected for a second interview will be required to submit a writing sample.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 25,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under applicable law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
We also make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit .
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on .
Chicago-Illinois-United States of America
- About Thomson Reuters
- Products & Services
- Learn More
- Contact Us
- Connect with Us