Lead Software Engineer, Globex
- Chicago, IL, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Chicago Mercantile Exchange
- 17 Oct 18
The Lead Software Engineer role is responsible for leading a team that drives and executes the strategy for technology advances in Globex. CME’s electronic trading platform....Responsible for leading projects for systems that must achieve a unique blend of ultra-low latency performance
CME Group: Where Futures Are Made
CME Group (www.cmegroup.com) is the world's leading and most diverse derivatives marketplace. But who we are goes deeper than that. Here, you can impact markets worldwide. Transform industries. And build a career shaping tomorrow. We invest in your success and you own it, all while working alongside a team of leading experts who inspire you in ways big and small. Joining our company gives you the opportunity to make a difference in global financial markets every day, whether you work on our industry-leading technology and risk management services, our benchmark products or in a corporate services area that helps us serve our customers better. With 2,500 employees located around the world, we're small enough for you and your contributions to be known. But big enough for your ideas to make an impact. The pace is dynamic, the work is unlike any other firm in the business, and the possibilities are endless. Problem solvers, difference makers, trailblazers. Those are our people. And we're looking for more.
The Lead Software Engineer role is responsible for leading a team that drives and executes the strategy for technology advances in Globex, CME’s electronic trading platform. This individual is responsible for leading projects for systems that must achieve a unique blend of ultra-low latency performance, the capacity to seamlessly facilitate the busiest trading days in the world economy, and rock-solid reliability and integrity, all while undergoing rapid release cycles.
Achieving these goals will require an understanding of both the underlying technology and the development, testing, and deployment life-cycle of the applications. The candidate must be able to solve problems creatively, communicate effectively, and possess the ability to lead others to achieve the critical mission of the team.
- Define key metrics driving code optimization and leads discussion of code reviews; Manages environment build deployments, release notes and build notices; Reviews code to proactively identify and mitigate potential issues and defects as well as identify solution problems and issues outside code.
- Conduct full system testing through tools and enterprise perspective.
- Exhibits language proficiency and independently writes application modules and unit tests as well as designs independently.
- Contributes to architectural discussions. Interprets and enforces architecture for a development team. Mentors developers and is influential within company division.
- Develops designs for all aspects of a project; Mentors seniors software engineers.
- Influences best practices development, contributing to process enhancements, and enforces best practices on project work.
- Proficient in SQL knowledge, intermediate in database modeling and skilled in database tuning.
- Oversees development of designs for all aspects of the application their team is responsible for delivering
- Oversees and manages work across multiple geographically distributed teams.
- Manages priorities across a diverse set of concurrent projects and initiatives.
- Some continued hands-on software development as needed (java or c++).
- 5-10+ years of Java or C++ experience, preferably in a low latency or financial services environment.
- Experience working with high throughput, high availability and fault tolerant applications.
- Strong analytical ability and problem-solving skills.
- Experience working with a globally distributed workforce and managing tasks across multiple offices.
- Effective communication of complex problems in a clear and concise manner.
- Proficiency in statistics and performance modelling preferred.
- Ability to manage scalable teams of vendor contract consultants over long-term projects preferred.
- Knowledge of DevOps and Cloud computing preferred.