Lead Database Engineer Chicago/en-US/Americas/job/Chicago/Senior-Database-Engineer_REQ-017620/apply
About the Role
The Lead Database Engineer will lead the re-design and migration of our databases to AWS Aurora PostgreSQL and maintain existing SQL Server databases powering critical applications in Morningstar software department.
- Lead our database upgrades and migrations from SQL Server to PostgreSQL on AWS Cloud
- Define best practices in database administration and introduce innovation with automation.
- Assist in implementing long-term strategic goals for database development in conjunction with end users, managers, clients, and other stakeholders.
- Identify inefficiencies in current databases and implement improved solutions.
- Responsible for providing day-to-day administration support and maintenance for existing and new databases on prem and on AWS Cloud.
- Perform production level support and be part of the on-call rotation when required.
- Database design and review based on project requirements and support applications implementation projects from initiation to completion.
- Implement and maintain database code in the form of stored procedures, scripts, queries, views, triggers, etc. based on project requirements on Amazon Aurora PostgreSQL and SQL Server.
- Ensure all proposed changes to the live application or infrastructure environments are suitably tested with roll-back capability and change controls exercised accordingly.
- Support clients' and business teams database inquires and provide timely solutions.
- Participate as a member in Agile teams, and work with other team members to review user stories, estimate effort to build new functionality and participate in sprint reviews.
- 7+ years of experience on database development and administration
- 4+ years working with large and complex databases on PostgreSQL and strong understanding of cloud technologies
- Advanced knowledge of query optimization, index management, statistics, and partitioning.
- Experienced in building complex scripts, queries, and stored procedures without compromising data quality, privacy or security.
- Understands the need for documentation and well-defined procedures.
- Forward thinking infrastructure automation and scripting skills.
- Excellent verbal, written, and collaborative skills to facilitate cross-functional teams.
- Ability to work with team members located in multiple geographies and time zones.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision seeking direction as required.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills and ability to clearly explain and present problems and issues to others and contribute to their resolution.
- Ability to make decisions and remain calm while under pressure particularly when dealing with difficult situations.
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science or relevant field with equivalent experience.
Would be a plus
- Financial industry work experience is a plus
- Strong financial data knowledge is a plus
001_MstarInc Morningstar Inc. Legal EntityPosted 17 Days AgoFull timeREQ-017620
How to Apply for a Job at Morningstar
When you find a position you're interested in, click the 'Apply' button. Please fill out this form completely, attaching your resume and cover letter in the approved format. Read the job requirements carefully and make sure to attach writing or design samples as required. Applicants must submit their resume and other information through our corporate website to be considered for a job at Morningstar. No phone calls, please.
You will receive an email notification to confirm that we've received your application.
If you are called in for an interview, a representative from Morningstar will contact you to set up a date, time, and location. Be prepared for a rigorous interview process. To make sure you're a good fit for Morningstar and we're a good fit for you, we'll schedule time for you to meet with multiple staff members at all levels of the company. Expect to return for multiple interviews as part of the process. A representative from Morningstar will contact you with the results of your intervieweither with a job offer or to let you know our plans for the position.
Applicants With Disabilities Who Need Accommodation
Morningstar is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please call +1 312 384-3900 or email and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
- We only accept calls from applicants who need accommodation related to a disability. Please, no calls with unrelated questions or requests.
- Please be sure to include the title and location of the open position youre interested in when you leave a message.
US Applicants: Morningstar is an E-Verify program participant.
- This Organization Participates in E-Verify (English) -
- This Organization Participates in E-Verify (Spanish) -
- Right to Work (English) -
- Right to Work (Spanish) -
- EEO is the Law:
- Pay Transparency Notice:
Morningstar is strongly committed to creating and preserving equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. We make all employment decisionsincluding recruitment, hiring, compensation, training, promotion, transfer, discipline, termination, and other personnel matterswithout regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, citizenship, gender identity and expression, parental status, or other legally protected characteristics or conduct.