Business Development Manager, Privates
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
We are transitioning to a hybrid work environment where both remote work and the office play a critical role. Our vision is a future where all employees are empowered to work flexibly to drive the best outcomes for our clients. Flexible work is a mindset and a core value. Our employees are encouraged to work remotely two days a week as a standard practice and will have flexibility in terms of working hours. POSITION
Wellington has been investing in private markets since 2003, and the Firm launched its first dedicated private equity fund in 2014. Today, we manage approximately $5B in assets across four private equity funds and co-investment program. We are launching three new funds in 2021 targeting a further $1.75B fundraise (two new funds and a second fund in an existing series) and have further plans to launch new fund series in 2022 and beyond. As part of the continued expansion of our alternatives capabilities, we are seeking to recruit an experienced marketer/fundraiser we call Business Development Manager to join our Alternatives Team within The Client Group (TCG).
The Client Group is charged with the responsibility of knowing the investment agenda of the Institutional and private wealth market of investors. The role of the Business Development Manager is to bring in additional assets for the firm by working as a strategic thought partner to new clients and existing clients. The Alternatives Team is searching for a Business Development Manager to identify opportunities and work across US institutional channels including corporate and public pension, endowments and foundation clients in the United States. RESPONSIBILITIES
This Business Development Manager will report to the Head of Alternatives for TCG and work in close partnership with other Business Development, Relationship Management, Consultant Relations, Product Management, Deal and Portfolio Management/Investment teams to ensure that we are properly covering all available opportunities in this important market. This new hire must have private investment market knowledge, a proven track record of success and understanding of private investment and alternative products and deal flow and cycles. ESSENTIAL SKILLS
The following skills are required for the role:
- Acumen and passion - The successful candidate will have a strong and existing network with private market allocators and be capable of and excited to present private investment strategies to institutional investors with varying degrees of sophistication. The individual will have a minimum of ten years of experience within the private investment industry and have a solid understanding of the needs of a broad range of client needs across institutional channels, including corporates, public pensions, and endowments and foundations. While we anticipate very direct and constant access to product and investment professionals, this role requires the ability to effectively communicate the investment philosophy and performance of sophisticated investments. A broad background in other asset classes and institutional investing is ideal. Additionally, the individual should also be capable of handling a large number of prospects with a variety of needs. Initiative, creativity, persistence, and consultative selling skills are particularly important in this role. The position will require extensive travel when appropriate to do so.
- Superior collaboration -This role requires a great deal of teamwork and collaboration across Wellington. The successful candidate will enjoy being an individual contributor within a highly collaborative team and embrace the benefits of overlapping lines of idea generation. This distribution leader will build strong, trusting relationships with clients and prospects, industry contacts as well as internal colleagues and recognize the benefits of diverse perspectives.
- Growth mindset -The flexibility and openness to continue learning, evolving and growing is required. The successful candidate will have a global perspective and creative approach for thinking about innovation and the future of private investments.
A successful candidate will also have the following qualifications:
• Passion for the markets
• Ability to lead and collaborate with experienced, cross-functional deal teams
• Strong interpersonal skills and experience in a collaborative, team-based, results-oriented environment
• Independence of thought, intellectual curiosity, and entrepreneurial nature
• Strong work ethic and attention to detail
• Strategic and tactical thinker with solid organizational skills
• Comfortable and articulate speaker and presenter
• Ability to communicate (verbally and in writing) clearly with conviction and contribute to an open dialogue
• Possess maturity, polish, and personal presence
• Strong academic credentials-CAIA, CFA preferred SKILLS
Private Debt, Real Estate Private Equity JOB TITLE
Business Development Manager, Privates LOCATION
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .