ABOUT THE ROLE
The FERC (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission) Financial Analyst is an exciting role, offering a rare opportunity to work across multiple areas of BP including BP Pipelines, BP Midstream Partners LLC and Olympic Pipe Line Company LLC. The role provides accounting and finance support for the US downstream pipelines and logistics business, focusing on external reporting to the FERC. The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission is a US federal agency that regulates the transportation of oil by pipeline in interstate commerce. The FERC requires quarterly and annual financial reporting submission utilizing the Uniform System of Accounts by regulated legal entities.
This role reports to the USPL Finance and BPMP Transaction Senior Manager. The analyst will work closely with multiple business partners to analyze actuals, review outcomes, adjust results to be compliant with FERC accounting guidelines and provide meaningful business insights on period to period variances, all while building proven relationships. This role offers a phenomenal opportunity to gain exposure to others in finance while developing deep knowledge of our business.
- Ensure financial control for FERC regulatory activities by monitoring the SAP financial ledgers ensuring accuracy and completeness of results in accordance with FERC.
- Prepare quarterly and annual FERC financial reports including the Balance Sheet, Income Statement, Retained Earnings Statement, and Statement of Cash Flows, and supporting schedules to ensure timely delivery of FERC filings.
- Monitor and analyze fixed asset data including depreciation and cost of service books, fixed asset schedules and history as required by Federal and State regulations and/or to aid in the rate-making process.
- Analyze, review, reconcile and adjust quarterly and annual trial balances in the FERC ledger to ensure appropriate FERC financial reporting as compared to GAAP.
- Coordinate/communicate with a wide range of departments including Pipelines Business Facing Team, Income and Property Tax, Tariff, Regulatory agencies, outsourced service providers, etc.
- Work with pipeline operations to gain a deeper understanding of business impacts and how they affect our FERC financial and ensure that they are appropriately reflected.
- Provide subject-matter expertise for interpretation of FERC guidelines, assessing options to deliver appropriate results and establishing necessary processes to do so.
- Identify process work flow gaps and create needed changes to ensure compliance.
- Drive simplification initiatives to improve the effectiveness of financial controls and improved performance insights by engaging with contacts across various departments.
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or other related field in addition to at least 5 years' proven experience. Being a CPA would be highly desirable! This person should understand financial and accounting concepts and the challenges to balance sheet and P&L items. Successful candidates will also have strong financial control, accounting/reporting experience, and analytical skills – being able to understand data quickly and draw out key messages and insights while maintaining attention to detail.
Other key attributes to be successful in this role include:
- Great teammate with ability to build working relationships, effectively challenge status quo with personnel at different levels.
- Flexibility and adaptability in handling change; ability to work independently and manage multiple competing/conflicting priorities with a strong track record for delivery.
- Strong IT skills: SAP and associated reporting systems; Microsoft Office suite.
WHY JOIN US
At bp, we support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and challenging environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, and excellent retirement benefits, among others!
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We see possibilities everywhere
At BP we’re busy providing energy to fuel all our lives – but in a cleaner, more efficient way than ever before. Join our team, and you can develop your career in a supportive, forward-thinking environment, as we keep advancing together. So take a look at just some of the ways we’re leading the energy challenge – then meet the people who are powering our future, and bringing possibilities everywhere to life.