Under administrative direction, uses knowledge and skills obtained through experience, specialized training and/or certification in securities industry to conduct onsite* branch examinations of retail brokerage offices throughout the U.S. Exams include reviews of various supervisory systems, setting and circumstances of the physical location, onsite files, related documentation, and employee interviews to ensure adherence with firm policies, procedures, and guidance, as well as federal and state rules and regulations. Examiner is responsible for detailed documentation of all testing activities, as well as communication of the testing results to the branches.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Execution of the risk-based branch exam program in FINRA-registered and non-registered Private Client Group branches across the country
• Detailed documentation of testing in branch exam system and related work papers
• Ensure prescribed sample methodologies are used and resulting sample sizes provide an adequate reflection of the activity being tested
• Use professional judgement to know when to “ask the next question” as potential risk areas are identified
• Apply the appropriate risk weight to a given testing activity and/or finding level
• Clear communication of all exam findings to branch management, exam managers and compliance leadership
• Provide reporting of exam findings and complete any related follow up in a timely manner
• Ensure risks and adverse trends are identified and escalated
• Provide compliance support to business partners, as needed
• Maintain regular interaction with Compliance and Supervision partners
• Complete special and ad hoc reviews and projects, as identified, in a quality and timely manner
• Provide guidance and mentoring to less-experienced peer group members
*Due to the pandemic, all travel has been suspended and only testing that can be done remotely is being conducted.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Advanced knowledge of:
• Concepts, practices, and procedures of the securities industry, broker/dealer compliance and/or branch exams
• Rules and regulations of the SEC, FINRA, and state securities regulatory agencies
• Fundamental investment concepts, practices, and procedures used in the securities industry
• Financial markets and products
• Thorough and balanced documentation of work product
• Clear, concise, cross-functional communications, both written and oral
• Identification of opportunities for the development, enhanced consistency, and ongoing maintenance of the branch exam program
• Building strong relationships based on mutual respect, trust, and understanding
• Establishing credibility with others, presenting oneself with confidence, and holding one’s ground when faced with pushback
• Delivering difficult messages with sensitivity, tact, and diplomacy
• Proactive identification of emerging risk areas and/or adverse trends with suggestions for managing
• Problem-solving in a complex environment
• Effectively navigating the organization to obtain information and achieve objectives
• Work under pressure on multiple tasks concurrently in a fast-paced work environment
• Manage time exceptionally well and remain highly organized
• Gain a thorough understanding and application of PCG policies and procedures
• Shift focus from one activity to another without impacting the quality of the work
• Constructively handle disagreements or conflicts to reach a resolution
• Apply industry experience to proactively identify and anticipate existing and emerging compliance risks
• Work well independently, but also collaboratively with the team
Educational/Previous Experience Requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree (B.A. /B.S.) and a minimum of three (3) years of licensed examination experience.
• Any equivalent combination of experience, education, and/or training approved by Human Resources.
• SIE required provided that an exemption or grandfathering cannot be applied.
• Series 7 Required
• Series 24 or Series 9/10 strongly preferred or ability to obtain within a designated time frame.
*Position requires high amount of travel within continental United States.