Under limited direction, uses extensive knowledge and skills obtained through education and experience to either successfully manage a team in the product research process or have significant subject matter expertise. This role, which includes information gathering, statistical analysis and qualitative evaluation, provides quality control related to AMS Freedom decisions and separately managed accounts also (RJCS, OSM, and institutional services). Ensures effective dissemination of research information to Financial Advisors and AMS Sales. Manages the evaluation of significant revenue generating products; extensive contact with other firm contacts and financial advisors is required to achieve this objective.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Subject matter expert in AMS Research applying RJF knowledge and AMS experience to multiple aspects of AMS Research. Oversees and ensures integrity of initial and ongoing due diligence processes: proactively analyzing the pros and cons of funds and SMAs related to AMS business; revenue generating product decisions, interpreting the information and making recommendations.
• Facilitates in depth investment research and analysis in a variety of areas including but not limited to: investment managers, asset allocation, portfolio construction, risk management, etc.
• Oversees recommendations of significant impact regarding asset management products consistent with client objectives. This includes RJCS, Freedom, and off platform exceptions that are considered.
• Carries significant influence in the hiring and firing of investment managers, changes to asset allocation, and overall portfolio management duties in AMS products.
• Maintains knowledge of industry developments; builds and develops relationships with vendor companies.
• Performs extensive interviewing via one-on-one meetings, industry meetings and/or conference calls with investment management personnel.
• Participates in conference calls and in-house meetings with due diligence team.
• Understands and interprets investment performance, with thorough knowledge of all performance formulas, calculations, and understanding of CFA and SEC compliance.
• Manages the design and maintenance of performance attribution of the firm’s research recommendations.
• Participates in internal and external events (committees, national and regional meetings, and conferences, etc.). Participates as guest speaker, as requested.
• Provides telephone support, recommendations, and investment advice to financial advisors.
• May participate in Home Office Visits and By Invitation Only visits; and other educational events.
• May perform supervisory activities, including identifying performance problems and seeking guidance for remedial action; reviewing performance; and participating in interviewing and selecting staff for assigned work group.
• Plans, monitors, reviews, evaluates and leads the work of others directly or indirectly applying experience.
• Coaches and mentors associates, identifies training needs and approves development plans.
• Establishes objectives and develops processes and procedures to ensure efficient and timely work flow.
• Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
• Advanced concepts, practices and procedures of the financial industry; knowledge of mutual fund products may be required.
• Fixed income knowledge related to global macro positioning, derivatives, mortgages, and yield curve strategies.
• Advanced portfolio case analysis, with many years of experience providing insight to team decisions.
• Quantitative (including performance calculations) and qualitative understanding of the investment management business and performance measurement.
• CFA, general GIPS rules, and SEC Compliance.
• Accounting, economics and finance.
• Understanding applicable systems and industry software to produce correspondence, reports, electronic communication, spreadsheets, and databases providing quantitative research.
• Leading by example or with direct supervision, mentoring and training others on the broader research team.
• Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, as this position will be a contact point for Financial Advisors who wish to talk in detail about all aspects of various products and specifics about investment managers and performance reporting.
• Business intuition to manage and build long-term relationships, internally and externally.
• Organize, prioritize, manage, and complete multiple projects and tasks concurrently, in a fast-paced environment with frequently changing priorities and constant interruptions, including those delegated, to complete work efficiently.
• Use appropriate interpersonal styles and communicate effectively and professionally, both orally and in writing, with all organizational levels to accomplish objectives.
• Attend to detail while maintaining the big picture orientation related to financial markets.
• Learn new software quickly and suggest improvements in appropriate processes.
• Facilitate meetings, ensuring that all viewpoints, ideas and problems are addressed.
• Establish and communicate clear directions and priorities.
• Generate enthusiasm and influence, motivate and persuade others to achieve desired levels of customer service.
• Plan, assign, monitor, review, evaluate and lead the work of others; coach and mentor others.
• Read, interpret, analyze and apply information from professional publications.
• Gather information, identify linkages and trends and apply findings to operations.
• Work independently or within a team environment; resolve problems and use independent judgment in making decisions.
Educational/Previous Experience Requirements:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Economics, or Finance or a related field strongly preferred with a minimum of ten (10) years of investment manager research.
• Supervisory experience preferred.
• Master’s Degree and MBA preferred.
• Any equivalent combination of experience, education, and/or training as approved by Human Resources.
• SIE required provided that an exemption or grandfathering cannot be applied.
• Series 7 & 66 licenses preferred.
• CFA charter holder strongly preferred.