Will sit within a mainly London-based team who engineer a longstanding and very successful in house developed Platform as a Service (PaaS) system ("DAP") written in Perl and hosted on Linux. In part an application and in part configuration management automation framework. We host over a thousand internal applications for the Bank and have over 12,000 internal IT users. Much of the work is back-end development, however we do own and maintain a large web-based user interface.
The platform manages applications written (by our users) in Java. Fabric manages applications written in any language and supports a wide range of technologies. We write a lot of automation relating to operating system and other low-level system configuration. Our code lives in a Git repository. We run an extensive automated test suite.
The day-to-day responsibility to manage and support the platforms lies with a separate operations team, however there is a move towards more shared responsibility here. We provide out of hours cover on an occasional basis.
We use Windows desktop machines, however each developer uses their own remote set of Linux servers for development.
- Develop software in Perl or other appropriate programming language to maintain and enhance the PaaS platforms
- Programmatically manage the configuration of Unix-like operating systems and servers
- Build and/or install new versions of software
- Write automated tests for new code
- Document platform functionality for our support team and end users
- Where required, manage some or all aspects of the software lifecycle, including requirements gathering, analysis, design, development, testing, documentation and release
- Take part in daily standup and other necessary meetings
- Work with the immediate and broader engineering teams, as well as operations and other groups to provide the PaaS platform service
Skills & Qualifications
- Significant experience of writing object-oriented (OO) Perl to write applications. Experience solely of writing or modifying Perl scripts is not sufficient
- Significant experience and knowledge of Unix or Linux operating systems, including use of the command line, system configuration and management
- Use of revision control systems such as Git
Desirable experience. Experience of some of the following would be an advantage:
- Linux system administration, Unix shell scripting
- Building native code from source
- Experience working in a large corporate environment
- Technical management of a hosting or PaaS platform
- Docker (or other Linux container), Kubernetes and OpenShift management and administration
- Configuration management of Java application servers or other Java applications
- Other programming languages, for example Golang
For candidates applying for positions in the US:
Deutsche Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories. Click these links to view the "EEO is the Law" poster and pay transparency statement.