Legal Counsel - Director Retail Banking
- Base salary, bonus and excellent benefits
- Wilmington, DE, USA Wilmington DE US
- Permanent, Full time
- The Forum Group
- 16 Aug 18 2018-08-16
Our client, a leading global diversified financial services firm is seeking an exceptional attorney with a compliance and regulatory background to join its legal team as a Director to act as regulatory counsel for legal, regulatory and compliance matters, including but not limited to, the Digital Consumer Bank including deposits and checking, installment lending, and credit cards. The ideal candidate will have previously served as counsel within retail banking industry..
• Develop and recommend company policy and position on legal and regulatory issues relating to the consumer, cards and payments businesses
• Conduct and coordinate research into a variety of legal issues relating to the consumer, cards and payments businesses
• Provide legal and regulatory support for bank projects and initiatives, including branded products, digital platforms and credit card relationships
• Draft customer facing terms and conditions and review marketing for various products
• Develop and recommend company public position on public policy issues
• Mentor compliance team
• Coordinate with outside counsel on projects and issues. Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent analytical and organizational skills
• Ability to work as a team player, interacting with colleagues across departments and job levels
• Ability to work in a fast paced organization with multiple priorities
• Working knowledge of, and proficiency with, financial and consumer protection laws (e.g., , Expedited Funds Availability Act and Check 21 (Regulation CC), Truth in Savings Act (Regulation DD), Electronic Funds Transfer Act (Regulation E), state UCC, ATM rules Title V of Gramm-Leach Bliley Act, Equal Credit Opportunity Act (Regulation B), Truth in Lending/Card Act (Regulation Z), Fair Lending, Title V Gramm-Leach Bliley Act, Dodd-Frank Act, FCRA, FDCPA, SCRA, TCPA and UDAAP)
Stakeholder Management and Leadership
• The role will involve interacting with senior management as well as stakeholders across Legal and Compliance, on complex legal, regulatory and governance issues.
• The candidate must be a strong communicator, capable of explaining legal requirements, interpretation and developments clearly and interacting with senior stakeholders with gravitas.
• Excellent leadership and communication skills, with the ability to engage and motivate colleagues within and outside Legal and present clearly and effectively to senior management in Legal and wider business stakeholders.
• Contributes to the development and implementation of team objectives and strategy.
• Makes recommendations for and can implement change.
• Works independently with minimal supervision and demonstrates the ability to supervise where appropriate.
• Able to plan and manage projects and matters through to completion, including around resourcing.
• Demonstrates strong relationship management skills with clients.
• Demonstrates the ability to take difficult decisions.
Decision-making and Problem Solving
• The role will involve risk management analysis of complex legal, regulatory and governance issues.
Risk and Control Objective
• Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Policies and Policy Standards.
• Fully understands the role of Legal and how it interacts with other functions and the business
• Builds strong risk partnerships with colleagues in other functions (especially key control areas as compliance, product and local).
• Identifies and escalates non-legal as well as legal risk issues.
• Contributes to the creation of policies and controls.
• Identifies improvements in the risk and control framework.
• Provides appropriate challenge, equally is robust in the face of challenge.
• Juris Doctor
• Member of the bar
• 10+ years of legal experience;
• 5+ years of experience with retail banking Industry
• Understands commercial rationale and client needs and supports the business in formulating and executing strategy.
• Leads by example, making timely and effective decisions and producing results even in the face of adversity
• Uses creative and innovative thinking to structure appropriate and sustainable solutions to transactional and regulatory challenges.
• Committed to continuous teaching and learning and shares knowledge proactively.