Bridgewater Associates is a premier asset management firm, focused on delivering unique insight and partnership for the most sophisticated global institutional investors. Our investment process is driven by a tireless pursuit to understand how the world's markets and economies work - using cutting edge technology to validate and execute on timeless and universal investment principles.
Powering this engine requires a diverse community of investment professionals, technologists, managers and other specialists. The firm attracts independent thinkers who share a commitment to achieving excellence in their respective lines of work and operating in our unique culture. Bridgewater was founded in 1975 and its principal offices are located in Westport, CT - an hour outside New York City. Our Culture
Bridgewater aspires to be an idea meritocracy in which radical transparency and believability-weighted decision-making allow the best ideas to prevail. Feedback is frequent and flows in all directions, meetings are recorded and shared, mistake-based learning is encouraged, and everyone is expected to uphold high standards of excellence and personal accountability.
Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) is central to that mission - to develop the deepest understanding of markets and economies we must find, retain, and grow the best talent across gender identity, race and ethnicity, sexual orientation, gained experiences, and more. To unlock the power of that diversity also requires an inclusive environment. In pursuit of this vision, Bridgewater has a full-time D&I team reporting to our CEO, vibrant affinity networks, and several companywide initiatives to drive progress. Ask your Bridgewater recruiter to learn more. About the Operations Group:
The goal of the Operations Department is to enable Bridgewater's ongoing investment engine and client requirements by proactively driving solutions through effective management of Operations people, process, partners and solutions in a principled way. Overall responsibilities include:
- providing trade life cycle and portfolio control support (e.g. trade confirmation, collateral, reconciliation)
- providing investor and fund services (e.g. on/off-boarding of investors & various investor and regulatory reporting)
- ensuring accurate accounting books and records and associated reporting (e.g. NAV)
- liaising with Audit, Tax, and Compliance to ensure compliance with ongoing regulatory requirements for BW, it's funds and clients
- driving industry leading back-office solutions and engaging in thought leadership and strategic partnerships with internal and external stakeholders to shape key outcomes (e.g., BW Front Office, vendors)
Bridgewater has grown rapidly in recent years, transforming from an investment boutique to a leading global institutional asset manager. To manage this excellently, Bridgewater has placed explicit focus on evolving our world-class investment and support infrastructure inclusive of utilizing external partners for key processes. Since Operations processes are mission-critical, the department has evolved the way in which it meets its goals and responsibilities. Bridgewater now operates a unique and innovative "tri-party model" that enables us to remain responsible for investment management and oversight of our back office, while also taking advantage of the independent processes and technology of two strategic partners who are industry leaders in this space. About the Role:
The role of Operations Associate in Operations is comprised of (1) monitoring and managing the deliverables and performance of outsource providers, (2) operating internal processes and procedures and (3) improving and evolving both (e.g. participating in initiatives enabling support of new products, markets and unique investor requirements, enhancing processes and controls, etc.).
One of the key advantages of the role of the Operations Associate as compared to a traditional Operations role is that Associates are developed more as "generalists" who can understand the end-to-end processes, as opposed to being specialists in a particular product or process.
We are seeking motivated, agile and results-oriented people to be part of the team critical to enabling Bridgewater to implement new investment ideas rapidly and meet the increasingly sophisticated needs of our clients. You will drive the following responsibilities:
We are looking for candidates with the following minimum qualifications:
- Provide Quality Control oversight of Outsource partners to ensure mission-critical Operations responsibilities are met including excellent escalating and trouble-shooting of problems
- Produce various internal and external reporting, including but not limited to client, regulatory, risk & control and management metrics
- Act as liaison between outsource partner(s) and internal BW departments (e.g. trading, client service) for queries and on various projects and initiatives
- Identify problems and inefficiencies with various process and develop and implement solutions (e.g. streamline redundant processes, automate controls & reports, etc)
- Contribute towards training, testing, and certification of other Associates over time to ensure a high level of cross-training and fungibility.
Why Choose Bridgewater?
- Bachelor's degree, demonstrating a strong academic record from a competitive school
- 2-7 years' experience in financial services Operations and/or Investor Services (e.g. investment banking, hedge fund administration, hedge fund, investment bank setting or consulting firm (Operations specific consulting)
- Strong skills in relevant software applications, particularly Excel, SharePoint, PowerPoint. Data manipulation and coding skills are also valuable (e.g. pivot tables, macros, VBA, SQL, "R", etc.)
- Strong sense of personal responsibility, ownership mentality, reliability, results-orientation
- Excellent ability to detect and trouble-shoot problems, logical reasoning, and common sense
- Process orientation (ability to both follow and streamline machines)
- Strong Communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to hold others accountable
- Learning agility and flexibility to keep up with what can be an uncertain and/or changing environment
The unifying experience at Bridgewater is meaningful work and meaningful relationships - the unique and lasting personal bonds forged out of a purposeful, rigorous, and inclusive work environment. Consistently, our employees find that this environment enables personal and professional growth, developed through an honest examination of their abilities and performance. We strive to provide you opportunities that will challenge you and unlock your potential.
One of our core priorities at Bridgewater is to enable our employees to build a great life and career, and we believe our benefits are an important extension of that philosophy. Bridgewater offers a competitive suite of benefits including health insurance with 100% premium coverage, a 401(k) plan with generous employer match, fully paid parental leave, a competitive PTO package, workplace flexibility, adoption and egg-freezing assistance, wellness offerings such as on-site gyms, free meals, healthy snacks, and meditation rooms, and an engaged and active community that includes company events, affinity networks and extracurricular interest groups.
Bridgewater reserves the right to change its current benefits program at any time, in a manner that is consistent with applicable federal and state regulations.
This job description is not a contract and confers no contractual rights, privileges, or benefits on any applicant or potential applicant. Bridgewater has the right to change any and all terms of this job description, including, but not limited to, job responsibilities, qualifications and benefits. Nothing in this job description constitutes an offer or guarantee of employment. Please note that we do not provide immigration sponsorship for this position.
Bridgewater Associates, LP is an Equal Opportunity Employer