Senior Linux Systems Administrator
The System Administrator (SA) is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operations and maintenance of Linux Systems. This person ensures these systems adhere to organizational values, enabling staff, volunteers, Partners and customers. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. As a senior member you will also be required to determine root cause information and train more junior resources in troubleshooting skills. We provide support on hardware for Servers with mix environment (HP, Oracle, DELL, Solaris) and models with different virtualization technologies from VMware to Solaris Zones.
You will also be asked to provide support/evidence for Audit (SOX, ITIL, SOC2, ISO) preparation. OnCall rotation and after hours/weekend work may be required. Engineering and Provisioning - 20%
Operations and Support - 40%
- Install new and rebuild existing servers, configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
- Research and recommend innovative and possible automated approaches.
- Identify approaches that leverage resources and provide economies of scale.
Maintenance - 40%
- Perform daily system monitoring. Verify integrity and availability of hardware, server resources and systems. Review system and application logs. Verify completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify possible intrusions.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media and sent off site.
- Perform regular file archival and purge.
- Create, change, and delete user accounts.
- Provide Tier III and other support per request and troubleshoot issues.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures, coordinating and communicating with impacted constituencies.
- Apply OS patches and upgrades regularly. Upgrade administrative tools and utilities.
- Upgrade and configure system software.
- Maintain operational, configuration, and other procedures.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- Maintain data centre environmental and monitoring equipment.
What We Offer
- Experience with automation tools such as Puppet, Ansible, Chef, etc.
- Experience/familiarity with Agile working models and Cloud-based environments, tools and processes
- Solid understanding of administrating Linux operating systems
- Working knowledge/experience with Cloud architectures - Public (AWS, Azure) and Private Cloud solutions
- Should be having working knowledge of LDAP
- Knowledge of networking and network configuration
- Good troubleshooting skills
- Implement and deliver key projects and customer hybrid cloud solutions
- Manage the solution delivery backlog to meet projected targets and deadlines on-time
- Take responsibility for the delivery of the infrastructure project portfolio backlog
- Ensure all relevant internal inventory and information systems are up to date, with accurate information
- Support customers in delivering word class technical solutions
- Work as part of a global team, communicating and collaborating with colleagues as necessary
- Where required complete system administration tasks including with Linux operating systems, MySQL database servers, web servers, and other middleware
- Production of low level operational and support documentation
- Assist the network team with network service fault troubleshooting and diagnostics
- Effective communicator and collaborator
- Good organization and time management skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written, communication and documentation skills
- Strong project orientated, and delivery focused
- Ability to maintain discretion with sensitive and confidential information
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including teamwork, facilitation and negotiation
- High levels of attention to detail and taking pride in outstanding work
- High degree of initiative, dependability and the ability to work with little supervision
- Familiar with IT Enterprise and Cloud Architectures
- Competitive base salary, bonus plans and equity.
- A comprehensive, benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision and life insurance plans, paid time off, a generous 401k match with no vesting period, parental leave and 3 volunteering days each year. For more information on benefits, please access the benefits page on our careers site: https://careers.ihsmarkit.com/benefits.php.
- For work locations in the state of Colorado, the anticipated minimum base salary for this role is $71,760. Compensation will be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, and abilities of the applicant.
Inclusion and diversity are critical to the success of IHS Markit, and we actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected category. For more information on the many ways in which we enthusiastically support inclusion and diversity efforts for both candidates and employees, please access our Inclusion & Diversity Statement here .
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace; employees may be asked to submit to a drug test (where permitted by law). In addition, as a federal contractor in the United States, the company participates in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Current Colleagues
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.