JobDescription : Energy Analyst, Quantitative Modeling The Role:
Platts is seeking an Energy Analyst specializing in quantitative modeling. This position has the daily responsibility for analysis of commodity data and creation and maintenance of statistical models pertaining to fundamental data. The analyst will be responsible for the creation of actionable intelligence for our clients to make informed trading/risk management and investment decisions. Grade
( relevant for internal applicants only ): 10 The Location:
Denver The Team:
You are part of a global team. Fast paced, with ever expanding new ways of delivering important content and analytics to our readers. The Impact:
The analyst will collect economic and financial information specific to a commodity market or organization, will conduct market sector or statistical analysis and will interpret key market data elements into useful business information. They will look to leverage their broad scope of knowledge when performing analysis on data sets that may require scripts, codes, languages, etc. The analyst is expected to perform high level analytic work and modeling. What's in it for you:
This person would be placed on a challenging, steep learning curve in terms of not only becoming a subject matter expert in natural gas, but also in competing/complementary markets, such natural gas liquids and petrochemicals. Numerous opportunities abound to showcase this person's managerial ambitions, presentation abilities and thought leadership that could lead to middle- to higher-management positions within the organization. What We're Looking For:
Strong background in quantitative modeling and statistical inference. Natural Gas, Crude Oil, and/or Natural Gas Liquids, Engineering, experience with a more technical programming language (MATLAB, R, Python, etc.)
We're looking for someone who is eager to apply their quantitative skills in a fast paced environment. We're looking for someone who is experienced in, and curious, about energy markets, but also passionate about modeling methodologies and presenting them to external clients. If you're right for this role, you'll be inquisitive, conscientious, an effective problem solver and communicator. You'll love this job because you'll be in a dynamic environment where market-moving changes occur every day, surrounded by high-energy individuals who are enthusiastic about covering markets, spotting key trends and reporting about those trends to our curious customers. Responsibilities:
- Collects economic and financial information specific to a commodity market or organization, conducts market sector or statistical analysis and interprets key market data elements into useful business information.
- Leverages broad scope of knowledge when performing analysis on data sets; May use scripts, codes, languages, etc.
- Performs detailed and thorough analysis and modeling of various commodities.
- Trains and mentors other individuals and teams to ensure accuracy and timeliness of information to clients.
- Conducts research including identifying data, data input, and statistical analysis of results and creates and maintains data, rate of return analysis and reports.
- Prepares presentations and engages directly with clients to present analysis.
- BA/BS in Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics, Engineering, and/or related field of study. MS degree preferred. Equivalent experience within their discipline also considered.
- 0-2 years experience in natural gas/oil/energy industry
- Displays well-rounded communication skills that implement good listening techniques, clear, concise writing style; and good verbal skills. The ability to communicate across a wide range of groups and personalities internally and externally.
- Works well in a team environment, focusing on collaboration and adapting to the needs of a diverse team. Has subject matter expertise in one market
- Displays good numeracy including ability to conceptualize proportional relationships; understand the basic principles of probability and statistics.
- Adept at managing multiple tasks and adhering to regular deadlines. Able to adjust priorities throughout the day.
At S&P Global Platts, we provide the insights; you make better informed trading and business decisions with confidence. We're the leading independent provider of information and benchmark prices for the commodities and energy markets. Customers in over 150 countries look to our expertise in news, pricing and analytics to deliver greater transparency and efficiency to markets. S&P Global Platts coverage includes oil and gas, power, petrochemicals, metals, agriculture and shipping.
S&P Global Platts is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit www.platts.com.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com
and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
The EEO is the Law Poster http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf describes discrimination protections under federal law.