North America Power Markets Analyst
JobDescription : The Role:
North America Power Markets Analyst Grade
( relevant for internal applicants only ): 10 The Location:
Denver (preferred), New York The Team:
This role is part of North America Power Analytics team, which is part of Platts Analytics. The team is small and has a very flat structure. It interacts intensively (including sharing of inputs and outputs) with other parts of the organization like fuels, emissions, technology (electric vehicles, batteries) and oil analysis teams. There is substantial interaction with the editorial (news) teams to stay on top of market events and provide editorial team with analytical support. The Impact:
This position will have substantial responsibilities of research and modeling of elements affecting fuel and power markets (load, transmission, capacity tracking, regulations etc.). Communicating results through short- and long-form written reports, data products and client-facing interactions (in-person or over email / phone / web-meetings). What's in it for you:
- Opportunity to work with a thought leading and highly experienced team in the industry
- Develop career by interacting with cross-commodity teams within the firm
- Develop by interacting with clients on a regular basis
- Opportunity to grow into higher responsibility and/or broader market modeling roles
What We're Looking For: Basic Qualifications:
- Maintain, improve and develop inputs and outputs for North American power markets, working closely with other analytical staff within Platts
- Own the load modeling aspects across North American power markets
- Support Platts' integrated Gas and Power Group, which includes Emissions/Clean Energy and Coal
- Interact with clients to answer questions and present outlooks
- General support of the firm's consulting activities
- Write and maintain code in R / Python, SQL etc. for the above tasks
- 2 (or more) years of experience in utility, generation company, energy industry consulting, investment banking, equity research or equivalent professional experience
- Excellent communication skills. Must be able to effectively present forecasts and supporting materials to clients in recurring written reports, phone calls, emails, and web/live conferences.
- Innovative and strong problem-solving skills to streamline modeling processes and identify and implement improvements
- Strong attention to detail
- Understanding of algorithms. Ability to code in one or more of VBA /R /.Net / Python
- Ability to assess impact of policy issues influencing electricity markets
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in economics, statistics, mathematics, or a similar field, with experience in quantitative analysis and forecasting.
- Expert in Microsoft Excel. At ease managing and creating Excel models, and using features such as pivot tables, matrix formulas and other advanced Excel functionality.
- Successful candidates will possess a strong entrepreneurial spirit, be highly self-directed and be able to work well under tight deadlines
- Experience in using Aurora modeling software or similar electricity modeling software
- Experience in analyzing North American power markets
- Understanding of MS Access / SQL / Power BI
At S&P Global Platts, we provide the insights; you make better informed trading and business decisions with confidence. We're the leading independent provider of information and benchmark prices for the commodities and energy markets. Customers in over 150 countries look to our expertise in news, pricing and analytics to deliver greater transparency and efficiency to markets. S&P Global Platts coverage includes oil and gas, power, petrochemicals, metals, agriculture and shipping.
S&P Global Platts is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit www.platts.com.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com
and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
The EEO is the Law Poster http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf describes discrimination protections under federal law.