Employment Counsel - Denver, Colorado
Do you have experience providing legal advice on employment and labor law matters? Are you ready to unleash your potential in a global business that is committed to moving money for better? Are you interested in joining a globally diverse organization where our unique contributions are recognized and celebrated, allowing each of us to thrive? Then it's time to join Western Union as an Employment Counsel. Western Union powers your pursuit.
In this pivotal role, you will be the lead on legal advice on employment-related matters in the U.S., working closely with stakeholders in HR, ER, Ethics, privacy, and compliance along with senior business leaders. Role Responsibilities
- Advise and provide training and support on areas including ADA, ADEA, AA, EEO, FMLA, FCRA, pay equity and DEI initiatives, FLSA involving federal and state wage and hour laws, Title VII and local anti-discrimination laws, WARN, NLRB, OSHA, OFCCP, reductions in force, drug testing, background checks, use of the contingent workforce, performance and conduct management, whistleblower complaints, workplace investigations, and sales compensation plans.
- Draft legal documents including offer letters, retention agreements, and release agreements, reviewing and developing employee policies and handbooks.
- Advise on the employment aspects of M&A transactions, including due diligence, and drafting and negotiating employment covenants, drafting and advising on the enforcement of post-termination restrictions, and advising on best practices for the protection of trade secrets and confidential information.
- Provide guidance on legal and compliance trends affecting the workplace.
- Manage employment law matters and partner with stakeholders across the Americas, with a particular focus on Costa Rica, Canada, and Mexico.
- Act as a role model for the legal department, take a lead in developing the profile of the team within the company, assist the team and broader legal department with its strategy, and promote efficient and effective ways of working.
We make financial services accessible to humans everywhere. Join us for what's next.
- At least 6 plus years of experience in a law firm or corporate legal department with demonstrable expertise advising in U.S. employment and labor law.
- A Juris Doctorate degree from an ABA-accredited school of law and will be admitted to at least one U.S. state bar.
- Excellent judgment and the ability to assess risks.
- Experience providing the highest quality legal advice while managing regulatory and reputational risk and business needs.
- Keen business acumen and the ability to take a firm position to protect the Company's interests.
- Proven experience effectively managing complex employment-related litigation matters and disputes to resolution.
- History of rigorous analysis of complex issues and proven delivery of pragmatic solutions to problems
- Demonstrated ability to present legal concepts clearly and effectively, especially to a non-legal audience in a commercially astute manner.
- Superior communication skills, with the ability to establish rapport, confidence, and trust with stakeholders at all levels and the ability to influence and challenge business partners in a constructive and persuasive manner.
- Well-organized and execution-oriented.
- Previous experience with agile working methodologies is also desirable.
- As part of a small, global team, it is essential that you will be approachable, self-starting, and have a can-do, solution-focused attitude, with the ability to work autonomously, be responsive, and prioritize the work.
Western Union is positioned to become the world's most accessible financial services company -transforming lives and communities. We're a diverse and passionate customer-centric team of over 8,000 employees serving 200 countries and territories, reaching customers and receivers around the globe. More than moving money, we design easy-to-use products and services for our digital and physical financial ecosystem that help our customers move forward.
Just as we help our global customers prosper, we support our employees in achieving their professional aspirations. You'll have plenty of opportunities to learn new skills and build a career, as well as receive a great compensation package. If you're ready to help drive the future of financial services, it's time for Western Union. Learn more about our purpose and people at https://careers.westernunion.com/. Salary
The salary range is $180,000 - $200,000 USD per year, total on target compensation includes a base salary and short-term and long-term incentives that align with individual and company performance. Actual salaries will vary based on candidates' qualifications, skills, and competencies. Benefits
You will also have access to short-term incentives, multiple health insurance options, accident and life insurance, and access to best-in-class development platforms, to name a few
( https://careers.westernunion.com/global-benefits/ ). Please see the location-specific benefits below and note that your Recruiter may share additional role-specific benefits during your interview process or in an offer of employment.
Your United States-specific benefits include:
- Family First Program
- Flexible Time Off
- Medical, Dental, and Life Insurance
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Parental Leave
We are passionate about diversity. Our commitment is to provide an inclusive culture that celebrates the unique backgrounds and perspectives of our global teams while reflecting the communities we serve. We do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, religion, political affiliation, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, or veteran status. The company will provide accommodation to applicants, including those with disabilities, during the recruitment process, following applicable laws.