The mission of the Sr. Ontologist is to create knowledge graphs and linked metadata schemes for interconnected data, topical/indexed query, search and asset discovery. This important role will help lead the Digital Transformation efforts as S&P Global digitizes its products and transforms into a technology enabled data company.
The Ontologist will work with Data Engineers, Product teams and other business stakeholders in modeling the complex Energy Commodity space. This individual will also help drive our linked data and data mining strategy, both internally and externally, in order to improve the search and semantic enrichment of S&P Global data products. Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement ontologies, ontology architecture and data management techniques in consultation with stakeholders.
- Contribute to data integration and mapping efforts to harmonize taxonomy from multiple domains and incorporate metadata into topical, named entity, and geographic ontologies.
- Analyze and implement knowledge organization strategies using tools capable of metadata management, ontology management, and semantic enrichment
- Keep abreast of competitor and industry developments related to ontology use, knowledge organization
- Understand document and graph database principals for maintaining object attributes and relationships. Identify implementation strategies for effectively and efficiently searching/querying data.
- Influence and participate with governance bodies to standardize data models.
- Research and provide solutions for complex problems.
- Work through a variety of technical challenges that will require creativity and close collaboration across internal teams, customers, and stakeholders.
- Able to multitask and know where to add business value, and when to delegate, guide or take ownership.
- Mentoring junior developers.
- Take smart risks and champion new ideas. Qualifications:
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science / Information Systems or related discipline. Masters in Information Design or Architecture preferred.
- 6+ years experience with ontologies, RDF/OWL, SHACL, SPARQL, Knowledge Graphs, and related tools (Top Quadrant, Protégé)
- 6+ years Information architecture experience with at least 3+ years in advanced data management/metadata technologies
- Working knowledge of database and MDM, warehousing architecture, techniques, design patterns and strategy
- Strong understanding of system development life cycle; software project management approaches; and requirements, design and test techniques
- Strong application of ontology and data modeling
- Agile/Scrum methodology experience
- Experience collaborating with cross functional teams
S&P Global states that the anticipated base salary range for this position is $100,800 to $230,200 . Base salary ranges may vary by geographic location.
In addition to base compensation, this role is eligible for an annual incentive plan.
This role is eligible to receive additional S&P Global benefits. For more information on the benefits we provide to our employees, visit https://www.spgbenefitessentials.com/newhires .
At S&P Global Platts, we provide the insights; you make better informed trading and business decisions with confidence. We're the leading independent provider of information and benchmark prices for the commodities and energy markets. Customers in over 150 countries look to our expertise in news, pricing and analytics to deliver greater transparency and efficiency to markets. S&P Global Platts coverage includes oil and gas, power, petrochemicals, metals, agriculture and shipping.
S&P Global Platts is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit www.platts.com .
S&P Global has a Securities Disclosure and Trading Policy ("the Policy") that seeks to mitigate conflicts of interest by monitoring and placing restrictions on personal securities holding and trading. The Policy is designed to promote compliance with global regulations. In some Divisions, pursuant to the Policy's requirements, candidates at S&P Global may be asked to disclose securities holdings. Some roles may include a trading prohibition and remediation of positions when there is an effective or potential conflict of interest. Employment at S&P Global is contingent upon compliance with the Policy.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other status protected by law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com
and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
The EEO is the Law Poster http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf describes discrimination protections under federal law.
20 - Professional (EEO-2 Job Categories-United States of America), IFTECH202.2 - Middle Professional Tier II (EEO Job Group), SWP Priority - Ratings - (Strategic Workforce Planning) Job ID:
267671 Posted On:
Virtual, New Jersey, United States