Position: Research Assistant
, Financial Services (Reinsurance Team) Ratings
The Role: This position is for a highly motivated Research Assistant with excellent organizational, time management, communication, and research skills. The Research Assistant must be able to handle multiple assignments with tight time frames; work well under pressure; work well independently and as an integral part of a team. The successful candidate will be required to support the analytical team in all aspects of the ratings process, from quantitative analytics to publishing. Primary responsibilities include conducting fundamental credit analysis, updating and maintaining financial spreadsheets, preparing documents for rating committees and management meetings, and research for analytical, publishing, and presentation purposes. The Research Assistant will be expected to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines, demonstrate initiative, possess strong interpersonal and communication skills and handle multiple tasks.
- At S&P Global Ratings, your analytical opinion truly matters and each person who works here has an essential role in S&P Global Ratings reputation of integrity, transparency, and ratings excellence.
- S&P Global Ratings plays a vital role in bringing transparency and comparability to the financial markets and helps investors and others measure and manage credit risk.
- By supporting capital markets, S&P Global Ratings helps people to start and grow businesses, cities and states to build highways and hospitals, and manufacturers to build factories and create jobs.
- With offices in 26 countries, rating $47.5 trillion in debt, and with nearly 1,400 credit analysts, S&P Global Ratings is an important part of the world's financial infrastructure and has played a leading role for more than 150 years in providing investors and financers the information they need to more easily, quickly and efficiently provide capital to businesses and governments.
The Career Opportunity:
As a Research Assistant, you are working as part of a sector team in the North American Financial Services Ratings (Reinsurance team) group in S&P Global Ratings. With the guidance of senior analysts, a qualified Research Assistant typically supports the sector team on its ongoing surveillance of a portfolio of rated reinsurance companies and performs basic fundamental credit analysis, forecasting, and industry analysis. A high performing Research Assistant is likely to be considered for providing support on more complex issuers and transactions, as well as providing input to financial models and written analysis used for committee reviews and external publications.
The Team / The Business:
When you join S&P Global Ratings and the North American Financial Services Ratings group, you join one of the world's leading providers of independent credit risk research and benchmarks in corporate finance. You are part of a team that produces high quality fundamental research based on established criteria in a fast pace environment.
- Bachelor's degree required, preferably in accounting, finance, business, mathematics, or statistics.
- 0-2 years of relevant work experience
- Strong analytical skills with a good understanding of financial statement analysis and accounting concepts.
- Ability to quickly absorb, analyze, and act upon information, while demonstrating strong proficiency with figures and the ability to maintain accuracy and be detail oriented while complying with deadlines.
- Strong Excel/Word/PowerPoint and database application skills.
- Solid communication skills, verbal and written, as well as the capacity to expand, learn, and make a contribution. English communication skills should be strong - both verbal and written.
- Highly organized with the ability to multitask and work under time pressure.
- Permanent Work Authorization for the United States is required.
- Ability to work consistent within the hours of our New York office.
Our Hiring Manager says:
"I'm looking for a person who is highly motivated, hard-working, and understands and enjoys focusing on fundamental credit analysis and prospers working as part of a team in a very dynamic work environment and an active and high-profile sector. At S&P Global Ratings, our primary responsibility is providing high quality, credible credit research and opinions to inform investors in their investment decisions, and we need to recruit the best qualified person that can help the team meet these high expectations."