Software Engineer, API Platform - Digital Wealth
- Not Specified
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- 18 Oct 18
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to our clients, we provide the investment and technology solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of June 30, 2018, the firm managed approximately $6.3 trillion in assets on behalf of
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to our clients, we provide the investment and technology solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of June 30, 2018, the firm managed approximately $6.3 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide. For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com | Twitter: @blackrock | Blog: www.blackrockblog.com | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock.
At BlackRock, we are looking for software engineers who like to innovate and solve complex problems. You are looking for a firm that recognizes strength comes from diversity, and will embrace your unique skills, curiosity, and passion while giving you the opportunity to grow technically and as an individual.
With over USD $6 trillion of assets we have a unique responsibility: our technology empowers millions of investors to save for retirement, pay for college, buy a home and improve their financial wellbeing.
This role is part of the newly formed global Digital Wealth group at BlackRock. BlackRock’s Global Digital Wealth Group’s core mission is to accelerate our efforts to deepen our relationships with wealth management partners through technology and data science. Our digital products – including Advisor Center, iRetire, FutureAdvisor, and our partners iCapital and Scalable Capital – are reaching tens of thousands financial advisors and millions of end investors. We view our Digital Wealth group as central to BlackRock’s future and as a strategic asset to transform the Wealth management industry.
Work in a team of ambitious software engineers to design, build and continually improve an API service platform; on this platform, we need to monitor, trace, log, and throttle all service calls. Security needs to be integral to the design and therefore we need to account for authentication and authorization of both users and application clients. We also acknowledge that a platform is only as good as the services that it supports; therefore we aim to provide a paved path for service creation using the latest technology in the cloud-native space. This role requires someone who has a product mind-set about this API platform and appreciates the value of working towards features that enable clients to self-serve to use our APIs. This API service platform will exist in a financial context, therefore this role also requires someone who has experience in implementing solutions that adhere to the legal and compliance requirements related to the accuracy, consistency and reliability of data served via an API to clients.
- Educated at an accredited university with a BS degree in Computer Science
- Passionate about building quality software and scaling technology to meet the needs of tomorrow
- A firm believer in the necessity to build in non-functional requirements to ensure enterprise grade quality
- Excited about building software that serves a broad range of clients including end users and developers
- Familiar with modern development practices and concepts including Agile, cloud native, continuous integration & delivery
- Always open to learn new technologies to support the current project requirements
- Not afraid to experiment with new technologies and discover new ways of doing things
- Comfortable streamlining the learning process and failing fast to focus on lessons learnt through experimentation
- Passionate about building tools and an ecosystem that you and other developers love to use and build upon
- Interested in working with different client development teams to meet their requirements
- Passionate about technology, and love to solve complex problems
- Building solutions for both BlackRock and over 100 organizations who leverage our technology
- Developing in Java, Angular, Cassandra, Solr, Docker, Kubernetes, a whole host of languages and many other open source technologies
- Committed to open source, and contributing back to the community
- Writing testable software every day, with a focus on incremental innovation
- We are passionate about building an enterprise grade service and an API platform that scales according to our client’s needs and that our engineers love to use
- Committed to using the latest technologies and standards to maximize interoperability with our clients and partners
You might have:
- A CFA qualification or you are making progress towards achieving one.
- Experience in conducting design and code reviews to ensure quality output from your team
- Experience in working with other technical leads, and their teams, to jointly deliver global enterprise solution
- Knowledge about BlackRock’s Aladdin data platform and Morningstar data feeds for financial products
- The capability of building and prioritising feature pipelines of work to deliver on an iterative basis
Want to learn more?
For 30 years, to drive innovation, BlackRock has bought great minds together. From the very beginning technology was leveraged for insight and efficiency to help our businesses better understand their client’s objectives. Again, BlackRock is accelerating innovation and technology to invest even more in their API and service platform and looking for people with a passion for technology and a love of solving complex problems to join their teams.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, ancestry, medical condition, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and also any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.