- Competitive compensation package
- San Francisco, CA, USA San Francisco CA US
- Permanent, Full time
- Matthews Asia
- 17 Mar 18 2018-03-17
The role will focus on providing legal support to Matthews’ strategic and growing institutional business.
TITLE: Senior Counsel
LOCATION: San Francisco, California
Founded by G. Paul Matthews in 1991, Matthews International Capital Management, the advisor to Matthews Asia Funds, believes in the long-term growth of Asia, concentrating our efforts and expertise exclusively within the region. As an independent, privately owned firm, Matthews is the largest dedicated Asia-only investment specialist in the United States. Our investment offerings provide a broad range of strategies for building a global portfolio that includes exposure to Asia.
Additional information on Matthews International Capital Management, LLC and Matthews Asia can be found at www.matthewsasia.com.
This position will report to the General Counsel.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The role will focus on providing legal support to Matthews’ strategic and growing institutional business. Matthews has historically served its largest institutional clients through separate accounts, but has recently established a private fund with series to provide another avenue through which institutions can access Matthews’ investment expertise. The position will be responsible for both of these segments of the institutional business.
Separate Accounts: Matthews manages separate accounts for large institutions, pension and profit sharing plans, insurance companies, endowments and foundations and other types of institutional clients throughout the world. The position will provide the legal support needed to take on new clients and serve existing clients, including negotiation of investment management agreements and amendments.
Private Fund: Matthews recently established a private fund to serve as an alternative means for institutions to access Matthews’ investment strategies. The fund has two series, but additional series will be launched to meet client demand. The position will be responsible for liaising with the institutional business team in the client take-on process, working across functions to launch new series and negotiating and drafting required legal documents, including side letters and new series supplements. Role expected to assume primary responsibility for any future private funds launched.
General: As a member of the Legal Department the position will be expected to contribute to general matters arising, including reviewing contracts, advising the Risk and Compliance Department and other functions on day-to-day legal questions and participating on key projects and Legal Department initiatives.
- Legal Qualifications - J.D. with superior academic credentials from nationally-recognized law school, bar admission and at least seven years of legal practice in a law firm or in-house required.
- Investment Management Experience – At least five years of investment management experience required. Additional experience a plus. Some or all of the following experience highly desirable:
- Separate Accounts – experience drafting and negotiating investment management agreements with public and private, US and international clients;
- Private Funds – experience establishing and maintaining private fund vehicles;
- Cross-Departmental Cooperation – experience working with institutional business colleagues, portfolio managers, compliance and traders in the product formation, client take-on, guideline monitoring and issue resolution phases.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to effectively and efficiently manage workload, plan and lead projects and track deadlines essential to success.
- Exceptional written and oral comprehension and communication skills required. Must be able to grasp complicated matters and communicate complex concepts in an easy-to-understand manner.
- Must be a team player who is as keen to pitch-in and help others on the team as he/she is to receive help.
- Attention to detail, punctuality and strong sense of responsibility required.
- Must be a U.S citizen or authorized to work in the U.S on a permanent basis.
Matthews International Capital Management, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. The Company does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), age, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, political activity or affiliation, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, medical condition as defined under applicable law, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws or ordinances