Research Analyst - Japan
- Not Specified
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Matthews Asia
- 14 Feb 19
Matthews Asia is seeking a Research Analyst for our Japan Fund to perform fundamental research and investment analysis in support of the Portfolio Managers. Specially, you will be responsible for conducting both qualitative and quantitative analyses for Japanese companies.
TITLE: Research Analyst – Japan
LOCATION: San Francisco, California
THE COMPANY: Matthews International Capital Management, LLC (“Matthews Asia”)
Matthews Asia is an independent, privately owned investment manager headquartered in San Francisco with subsidiary offices in London, Singapore and Hong Kong. Founded in 1991, Matthews Asia specializes in investing in Asia’s equity and fixed income markets for institutions, intermediaries and retail investors worldwide. For over 25 years our bottom-up, active investment approach has focused on identifying the most attractive long-term growth opportunities in Asia’s diverse markets. Our portfolios typically feature low turnover rates and high active share, with holdings that differ significantly from their benchmarks. Our long-term perspective and culture of independent thinking facilitate our delivery of a consistent and distinctive value proposition to our clients and partners.
Additional information on Matthews International Capital Management, LLC and Matthews Asia can be found at www.matthewsasia.com.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Lead Portfolio Manager, Japan Fund
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
We are seeking an individual to join the Matthews Asia Japan Fund to perform fundamental research and investment analysis in support of the Portfolio Managers.
Specially, this individual will be responsible for conducting both qualitative and quantitative analyses, focusing on industrial analysis, business models, products and services, management quality and competitive advantages for Japanese companies.
This role will be responsible for supporting and coordinating investment decisions for a series of SEC-registered mutual funds that specialize in international markets.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Perform investment analyst duties including bottom-up, fundamental research of companies to recommend new potential investments for our Japan fund.
- Assist in collecting, processing and organizing daily information on companies in the investment universe.
- Conduct both qualitative and quantitative analyses, including analyses of current economic situations, industry sectors and a company’s business model, product and services, management quality and competitive advantages.
- Analysis requires building financial and valuation screens/models, reflecting the company’s business performance and forecast.
- Monitor fund and portfolio company performance, and assist Portfolio Manager in asset allocation and risk and return diversification
- Support ongoing and ad hoc research efforts and periodical publications of the team.
- Conduct management meetings, both on-site and overseas
- Solid understanding of accounting and a keen interest in investing
- Bachelor’s degree, CFA preferred
- Must have 3+ (preferably 5) years of professional work experience having performed analysis of the Japanese economy, companies and regulatory environment
- Fluency in Japanese, spoken, reading and writing, required
- Prior experience in asset management industry is highly preferred
- Must be a U.S citizen or authorized to work in the U.S on a permanent basis
- Demonstrable conviction in Asian markets
- Experience working in Asia/Japan highly desired
- Solid Excel skills and preferably some knowledge of data management
- Working knowledge of research tools a plus; Bloomberg, Thomson Analytics etc.
- Solid/proven writing skills
- Willingness to travel approximately 4 – 15 weeks per year
Matthews International Capital Management, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. The Company does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), age, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, political activity or affiliation, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, medical condition as defined under applicable law, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws or ordinances.