Research Analyst - Asia Growth
- competitive base plus bonus
- San Francisco, CA, USA San Francisco CA US
- Permanent, Full time
- Matthews Asia
- 12 Jul 18 2018-07-12
TITLE: Research Analyst – Asia Growth LOCATION: San Francisco, California THE COMPANY: Matthews International Capital Management, LLC (“Matthews Asia”) Matthews Asia is an independent, privately owned investment manager headquartered in San Francisco with subsidiary offices in London, Singapore and Hong Kong. Founded
TITLE: Research Analyst – Asia Growth
LOCATION: San Francisco, California
THE COMPANY: Matthews International Capital Management, LLC (“Matthews Asia”)
Matthews Asia is an independent, privately owned investment manager headquartered in San Francisco with subsidiary offices in London, Singapore and Hong Kong. Founded in 1991, Matthews Asia specializes in investing in Asia’s equity and fixed income markets for institutions, intermediaries and retail investors worldwide. For over 25 years our bottom-up, active investment approach has focused on identifying the most attractive long-term growth opportunities in Asia’s diverse markets. Our portfolios typically feature low turnover rates and high active share, with holdings that differ significantly from their benchmarks. Our long-term perspective and culture of independent thinking facilitate our delivery of a consistent and distinctive value proposition to our clients and partners.
Additional information on Matthews Asia can be found at www.matthewsasia.com.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Lead Portfolio Manager, Asia Growth Fund
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
We are seeking an individual to join the Matthews Asia Asia Growth Fund to perform fundamental research and investment analysis in support of the Portfolio Managers specifically in the Chinese health care sector.
Specially, this individual will be responsible for conducting both qualitative and quantitative analyses, focusing on industrial analysis, business models, products and services, management quality and competitive advantages for the Chinese health care sector.
This role will be responsible for supporting and coordinating investment decisions for a series of SEC-registered mutual funds that specialize in international markets.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Research and analysis of individual companies, as well as sector, regional and economic factors affecting issuers based in, or with significant exposure to Asia Pacific
- Stock selection
- Work within a team to conduct research and generate ideas for better returns of the portfolio; develop investment strategy
- Asset allocation of the portfolio based on the changing environments of risks in macro economy, different sectors and individual equities and rebalance stock position
- Monitor the latest news/developments on the underlining stocks in the portfolio and evaluate the impacts on the stocks using qualitative and quantitative method. Also monitor macroeconomic news
- Meet with company managements on a frequent basis through on-site company visits, conference calls and meetings in our own office
- Communicate with existing/potential investors/advisers on the fund’s investment philosophy and methodology
- Collaborate with lead and/or co-portfolio manager
- Market fund, appear in media and conferences
- Bachelor’s degree is required, Master’s degree, CFA and/or MD preferred
- At least 3-5 years of work experience in the investment management industry, buy-side, preferred
- Experience as research analyst in the Chinese health care sector - buy-side, preferred
- Ideally, the candidate is a U.S citizen or authorized to work in the U.S on a permanent basis
- Strong background in Asia Pacific required
- Keen interest in investing and a demonstrable conviction in Asia-oriented investments and companies
- Working knowledge of tools such as Bloomberg, FactSet and strong Excel skills
- Willingness to travel to Asia is required
- Fluent in Mandarin
- Excellent qualitative and quantitative analytical skills
- Strong understanding of financial statements
- High level of integrity
- Team player
- Communication skills - Ability to articulate clearly an investment case in writing and speech
Matthews International Capital Management, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. The Company does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), age, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, political activity or affiliation, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, medical condition as defined under applicable law, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws or ordinances.