- Not Specified
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Matthews Asia
- 11 Oct 18
Looking at single stocks, take a deep dive in understanding financials, research, go through channel checks and prepare financial models, give it a value and make an investment recommendation to PM.
TITLE: Research Analyst
LOCATION: San Francisco, California
THE COMPANY: Matthews International Capital Management, LLC (“Matthews Asia”)
Matthews Asia is an independent, privately owned investment manager headquartered in San Francisco with subsidiary offices in London, Singapore, and Hong Kong. Founded in 1991, Matthews Asia specializes in investing in Asia’s equity and fixed income markets for institutions, intermediaries, and retail investors worldwide. For over 25 years our bottom-up, active investment approach has focused on identifying the most attractive long-term growth opportunities in Asia’s diverse markets. Our portfolios typically feature low turnover rates and high active share, with holdings that differ significantly from their benchmarks. Our long-term perspective and culture of independent thinking facilitate our delivery of a consistent and distinctive value proposition to our clients and partners.
Additional information on Matthews International Capital Management, LLC and Matthews Asia can be found at www.matthewsasia.com.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Lead Portfolio Manager
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
We are seeking an individual to join the Matthews Asia ESG Fund to perform fundamental research and investment analysis in support of the Portfolio Managers.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Perform fundamental research and investment analysis in support of Portfolio Managers.
- Work within the team to conduct research and generate ideas for portfolio returns, including investment strategy.
- Will conduct quantitative and qualitative analyses, focusing on industry analysis, business models, products and services, ESG quality including management quality and competitive advantages for Asia Pacific companies.
- Involved in collecting, processing and organizing of information on companies, incl. product and services, management quality and competitive advantages.
- Will perform analyses, by building financial and valuation screen/models, reflecting a company’s business performance and forecast; and also monitor fund and portfolio company performance and review asset allocation and risk and return diversification.
- Monitor macro-economic news/risks, contribute to the investment process through idea generation and due diligence, communicate with existing/potential investors, and perform site visits, as needed.
- Analyze sector, regional and economic factors re: portfolio companies
- 10-15% international and domestic travel for research required
- Bachelor’s degree required. MBA and/or CFA preferred
- 3-5 years of fundamental equity analysis experience. Asian/Emerging Markets experience strongly preferred
- Proficiency with Mandarin and/or Japanese is a big plus
- U.S citizenship or authorization to work in the U.S on a permanent basis preferred
- Must be an independent thinker and self-starter with a demonstrated passion for investing
- High level of integrity and ability to work well in a very diverse team setting
- Use of Bloomberg, Factset, and Eikon
Matthews International Capital Management, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. The Company does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), age, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, political activity or affiliation, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, medical condition as defined under applicable law, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws or ordinances.