Managing Director, External Relationship Management
Description About this role
BlackRock (NYSE: BLK) provides investment management, risk management, operations, and advisory services to institutional, intermediary, and individual investors around the world. BlackRock seeks to better serve clients by anticipating and responding to changes and advancements in the investment industry and capital markets, and continually aims to broaden and deepen its investment and risk management capabilities. BlackRock's commitment to analytical and investment excellence is anchored in a culture that places clients' interests first. BlackRock exclusively acts as a fiduciary to its clients, never trading as a principal or on its own behalf.
The US & Canada Institutional Client Business (USCA ICB) creates and delivers investment solutions for institutional clients and consultants throughout the region. As North America's largest Institutional Manager, USCA ICB is a team of world class relationship management, client service and marketing professionals dedicated to serving institutional clients, including pension funds, foundations, endowments, insurers, and family offices. USCA ICB represents approximately 30% of BlackRock's overall assets under management with $1.97 trillion as of June 30, 2019.
The Family Office (FO) team is responsible for distributing BlackRock products and solutions to Family Offices and their Foundations, certain Multi-Family Offices (generally, where the average client size is larger than $50mm), and increasingly new Outsourced Chief Investment Officer (OCIO) mandates, where the firm takes on full asset management responsibilities for a particular UHNW client or family. The FO team has members in New York City, Chicago, San Francisco, and Atlanta.
The dedicated FO team leverages the depth and breadth of BlackRock to deliver investment solutions that are aligned with family office priorities. From preserving wealth to maintaining cash flow to outperforming public markets, the family office clients use BlackRock's full spectrum of public and private markets strategies to help secure the financial futures. The FO team focuses on investing for the long term and
their commitment to risk management helps family offices to maintain and grow their portfolios.
This individual will be responsible for leveraging the resources, relationships, and insights of the world's largest investment manager to help family offices achieve their objectives across a full range of private and public markets. This individual will be responsible for leading a team of professionals on the West Coast who will build and maintain client relationships and be able to execute strategies to the FO clients. This individual will be responsible for supporting the broader FO Sales and engagement strategy and will deliver BlackRock capabilities. Role and Responsibilities
- Refine and execute strategies to market BlackRock's broad capabilities to this distinct Family Office sector in the Western US.
- Particularly focus on scaled outreach of single strategy solutions and targeted OCIO outreach and execution.
- Lead a team of sales professionals on the West Coast who initiate and build new client relationships for large-scale solutions, and who embed BlackRock into client activities for single sales.
- Work with Client Portfolio Solutions (OCIO team) and single strategy portfolio managers to deliver BlackRock capabilities to FO clients.
The Candidate Experience, Skills, and Personal Qualities
- Substantial experience in institutional fundraising, with deep relationships across a range of family office clients in the West and strong understanding of the asset management sales process as it relates to institutional investors.
- Proven sales background with a history of building strong client relationships.
- Track record of successful selling to the UHNW segment.
- Experience successfully leading a sales team; must have a collaborative and cooperative approach to a team-based sales model.
- Ability to drive results in close collaboration with colleagues within and across business units.
- Capacity to move effectively and efficiently between engaging with investors, relationship managers and product managers to provide value added perspective and deliverables.
- Fluency in discussion of UHNW related issues, including tax efficiency, trust structures, etc.
- Strong communication skills; must exhibit the ability to clearly and concisely articulate product and platform characteristics to sophisticated investors, both in written work and presentations to large and small audiences.
- Strong leadership qualities, intellectual ability, and interpersonal skills to establish credibility with the senior leaders throughout the organization as well as the targeted investor community.
- Ability to lead by example, by upholding high ethical standards and a strong work ethic.
- Passion for the financial markets.
- Minimum 15 years' experience, 20+ years' experience preferred.
- Significant travel expected.
- Series 7, 63, and 24 required.
- Graduate degree or CFA preferred.
BlackRock's purpose is to help more and more people experience financial well-being. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of June 30, 2020, the firm managed approximately $7.32 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com/corporate | Twitter: @blackrock | Blog: www.blackrockblog.com | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person's appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, ancestry, medical condition, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and also any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.