Lead Data Engineer - Aladdin Client & Sales Solutions
Description About this role
BlackRock's Aladdin Client & Sales Solutions (ACSS) team is responsible for delivering tools, algorithms, and solutions to drive the efficiency of BlackRock's Client Business organizations globally and digitally transform how BlackRock's clients experience the firm. Do you have demonstrated success delivering impact and commercial outcomes? Then, we want you! We are passionate about delivering state of the art technology to our users in a scalable and resilient manner, coupled with a great user experience.
We are a team that recognizes strength comes from diversity and embrace technical expertise and curiosity equally. We are focused on delivering commercial outcomes and are passionate about building outstanding products. Job Purpose/ Background
ACSS DaaP (Data as a Platform) team is looking for a development Leader to contribute into our data driven and computational platform. The data platform is compelling analytics offering, supported by high quality historical data and multiple heterogenous data storages. This data is then transformed further to create analytical insights, which will be utilized by Data Science modelers and Application Developers to deliver actionable insights to sales and marketing teams.
The ideal candidate should be highly motivated to create, optimize, or redesign data pipelines and computation platform to support our next generation of products and facilitate deeper analysis. To lead in the crafting, implementation, and maintenance of this platform one would primarily need OLTP and OLAP knowledge along with Data Warehousing concepts and distributed computing experience, such as, Hadoop and Spark along with knowledge for data curation and analytical skills. Scope of Role:
As Lead Data Engineer, you will:
- Lead a global team with footprints in North America, Europe, and Asia
- Lead and guide the development team on project execution to align with business vision and objectives while defining best practices and code standards
- Share responsibility for architecting and implementing the next generation of Data Platform Architecture for Data Pipeline and Distributed Computation.
- Collaborate with various partners to understand multi-functional requirements and convert them into reusable service components
- Define and drive the data modeling solution for Data Warehousing and distributed data storage including best practices and design standards.
- Participate in architecting, designing and implementation a scalable computation and data distribution platform.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements and share with the relevant technology organization.
- Develop and mentor other team members in design and development while ensuring accurate development estimates on projects and tasks.
- Establish and enforce CI/CD, code review, design standards, best development practices.
- Motivate data engineers to deliver top quality, supportable products that continue to raise the bar higher.
- Work with data scientists to develop data ready tools to support their job.
- Identify, investigate, and resolve data discrepancies by finding the root cause of issues; work with partners across various cross-functional teams to prevent future occurrences.
- Understand existing systems and resolve operations issues while working with other support staff located across the globe.
- Automate manual ingestion processes and optimize data delivery ensuring SLAs are met.
- Design, maintain, and own the Data Infrastructure. Work with infrastructure teams on re-designing environment for greater scalability.
- Be up to date with the latest tech trends in the big-data space and recommend them as needed.
- You will be accountable for managing high-quality data exposed for internal and external consumption by downstream users and applications.
Huge Plus if you have:
- 10+ years of hands-on experience in Data Engineering or Software Engineering.
- Experience leading or mentoring a team and drive the execution.
- 7+ years of experience with data transformation and computation leveraging OO languages with Python for data transformation (Core Python, Pandas and pySpark) or Java/J2EE/Spring architecture design and development
- 5+ years experience with SPARK (pySpark), performance tuning and scaling.
- 5+ years using distributed eco-systems like Hadoop, Hive, etc. Proficiency on bucketing, partitioning, tuning and different file storages (like S3) and formats (ORC, PARQUET & AVRO).
- Experience with design and actual implementation of Data Warehouse or OLAP system or Data Lake
- Experience with ETL tools and Workflow management systems like Airflow, Luigi, NiFi, Kilo.
- Extensive experience and advanced knowledge of SQL and relational databases (e.g., MS SQL Server, MySQL, Postgres), data modeling, stored procedures, and complex queries. .
- B.S. / M.S. degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related discipline.
- Experience with stream-processing systems: Storm, Spark-Streaming, Kafka
- Experience with distributed databases and query engines like Snowflake or Presto is huge plus
- Experience with API development in Python or Java
- Experience with containerization architecture: Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with cached databases (e.g., Ignite)
- Knowledge of any Graph Databases
- Experience with Scala
- Any experience with Cloud platform such as Azure, AWS or GCP is huge PLUS!
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person's appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, ancestry, medical condition, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and also any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.