Head of Fixed Income Business Development and Portfolio Strategy
- Not Specified
- San Francisco, CA, USA San Francisco CA US
- Permanent, Full time
- Matthews Asia
- 18 Apr 18 2018-04-18
TITLE: Head of Fixed Income Business Development and Portfolio Strategy LOCATION: This position is most likely based in San Francisco, but could be based in Hong Kong, Singapore or London THE COMPANY: Matthews Asia is an independent, privately owned investment manager headquartered
TITLE: Head of Fixed Income Business Development and Portfolio Strategy
LOCATION: This position is most likely based in San Francisco, but could be based in Hong Kong, Singapore or London
Matthews Asia is an independent, privately owned investment manager headquartered in San Francisco with subsidiary offices in London, Singapore and Hong Kong. Founded in 1991, Matthews Asia specializes in investing in Asia’s equity and fixed income markets for institutions, intermediaries and retail investors worldwide. For over 25 years our bottom-up, active investment approach has focused on identifying the most attractive long-term growth opportunities in Asia’s diverse markets. Our portfolios typically feature low turnover rates and high active share, with holdings that differ significantly from their benchmarks. Our long-term perspective and culture of independent thinking facilitate our delivery of a consistent and distinctive value proposition to our clients and partners.
Additional information on Matthews International Capital Management, LLC and Matthews Asia can be found at www.matthewsasia.com.
This position will report to the Head of Portfolio Strategy, but will work closely with the Head of Fixed Income who will have significant input into Goals and Performance rating for this individual.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This newly created position will be responsible for building an Asian fixed income ("FI") business globally by developing a strategic plan and working with global distribution personnel to raise assets for fixed income. The ideal candidate would already have a track record of successfully building businesses, raising assets, and representing fixed income strategies globally. (S)he will work closely with the fixed income portfolio management and portfolio strategy teams to identify and develop the global FI business plan, identifying target growth areas by client type and geography. (S)he will work closely with sales team to build new and deepen existing FI relationships, design custom solutions, do consultative sales. (S)he will also liaise with all parts of the firm, including marketing, legal, operations, corporate development to build and develop the fixed income business.
Core Responsibilities Include:
- Develop a global fixed income business plan and collaborate with existing business development personnel to grow fixed income assets
- Identifying industry trends, buyer preferences, product type and communicating it to product, distribution, and investment teams
- Identify potential new FI strategies / product / vehicles and sell existing Matthews fixed income strategies by leveraging on the candidate’s existing relationships. We expect the candidate to bring new relationships / sales channels/ geographies to the firm. The channels might include, but are not limited to:
- Endowments & Foundations
- Sovereign Wealth Funds
- Sub-advisory business via insurance/banks
- Distribution into new geographies such as China
- Travel alongside business development and other client facing personnel acting as a representative of the fixed income team and strategy expert in non-portfolio management activities
- Writing and/or editing thought leadership and market commentaries
- Supporting various forms of external communication, including conference calls, prospect meetings, portfolio reviews, webcasts and conference speaking
- Build and maintain competitive analysis of Matthews’ fixed income strategies against competitor funds and benchmarks
- Providing input on the content of marketing materials including product fact sheets/presentations; requests for proposals (RFPs); competitor analysis; and other sales-support materials/guides
- Proven history of building business, growing AUM, and selling fixed income, emerging market, or Asia fixed income strategies
- Most likely have at least 10 years of experience in product strategy, sales, distribution, or portfolio management
- Deep relationships with decision makers and allocators to fixed income and/or emerging market strategies.
- Undergraduate and MBA / MS in financial engineering / CFA
- Demonstrated commitment to Asia / emerging markets
Matthews International Capital Management, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. The Company does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), age, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, political activity or affiliation, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, medical condition as defined under applicable law, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws or ordinances.