Compliance Manager, Director - BlackRock Institutional Trust Company
- Not Specified
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- 11 Feb 19
About BlackRock BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of December 31, 2018, the firm
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of December 31, 2018, the firm managed approximately $5.98 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide. For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com | Twitter: @blackrock | Blog: www.blackrockblog.com | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock.
Director, Regulatory Engagement and Development, ERISA and Trust Bank Compliance
Legal and Compliance at BlackRock
BlackRock's Compliance Department protects BlackRock’s reputation and provides advice to the business focused on ensuring the protection of our clients’ best interests. The department operates in a dynamic environment with the team focused on understanding evolving business strategy, as well as advising on the impact of regulation in our business, with the objective of:
- Actively participating in business decisions to champion our clients’ interests and assist the business in translating compliance into their daily work and decision making;
- Putting client interests at the center of everything we do;
- Cultivating and enhancing BlackRock’s compliance culture;
- Providing thought leadership on the impact and implementation of regulation to our business and to the market; and
- Developing and fostering excellence within the Compliance team.
In conjunction with Legal, the Compliance team oversees BlackRock’s compliance with applicable laws and regulations and is responsible for, among other things, establishing legal and compliance policies and procedures that meet applicable regulatory requirements and testing the effectiveness of those policies and procedures, overseeing regulatory matters, and providing compliance training.
We are seeking a seasoned compliance professional to play a leading role in BlackRock’s Americas Compliance team. The successful candidate will help lead the compliance program for BlackRock Institutional Trust Company, N.A., a national trust bank (“BTC”) with over $1.4 trillion of assets under management for institutional clients and will be the Chief Compliance Officer for BTC. This role reports into a Managing Director who is the Head of Americas Compliance and Global Head of Investment Advisory Compliance. BTC’s primary clients are retirement plans and, thus, the candidate should have experience with or strong interest in retirement plan investing. This team also manages engagements with BTC’s primary regulator, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (“OCC”), as well as BlackRock’s other regulators in the U.S. and globally. The position is based in San Francisco.
The successful candidate will help lead a seasoned team of compliance professionals who collectively oversee BTC’s compliance with the requirements of OCC regulation, SEC rules, and ERISA requirements, other applicable laws and regulations and applicable BlackRock policies to effectively monitor and manage regulatory compliance risk. The successful candidate will be able to effectively manage compliance risk as follows:
- Continuously enhance and manage the compliance framework for BTC including ensuring regulatory and policy requirements and procedures are embedded within the business areas and technology systems.
- Demonstrate success in partnering with legal, compliance and business teams globally on BlackRock’s engagement with U.S. regulators including driving strong results in regulatory exams and other engagements with regulators and auditors.
- Track and understand the changing regulatory environment to ensure policies, procedures and key stakeholders are kept current.
- Execute governance and management reporting including by participating in management and governance forums to consistently manage regulatory compliance risk on a timely basis.
- Manage a team responsible for the BTC and ERISA compliance framework, as well as Regulatory Engagement and Development.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple deadlines across time zones.
- 10+ years of legal, regulatory, compliance or operational experience at a financial institution is preferred. Relevant experience at a large law firm, consulting or similar firm or a federal regulator will also be considered.
- Demonstrate a proficiency about multiple areas of financial regulation that relate to a large asset management company and the desire to deepen that knowledge to lead a highly effective compliance team.
- Investment management compliance or direct OCC, SEC, or ERISA regulatory experience for a sophisticated financial services firm is preferred.
- The candidate should also be experienced in policy writing, presenting and communicating to senior management and familiar with compliance testing technology.
- Have a proactive approach to business issues, identifying areas of improvement and enhancement including the automation of processes and effective management reporting.
- BS/BA required; JD or other relevant graduate degree is preferred.
- Excellent communication, judgement, and business partnership skills across time zones is expected.
- Ability to make decisions and exercise discretionary authority is necessary to successfully fulfill the role.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, ancestry, medical condition, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and also any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.