Analyst, Data Engineering
- Not Specified
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- 21 Apr 19
About BlackRock BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of December 31, 2018, the firm
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of December 31, 2018, the firm managed approximately $5.98 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide. For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com | Twitter: @blackrock | Blog: www.blackrockblog.com | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock.
Functional Title of Role: Analyst – Data Engineer
Location: San Francisco, California
Are you interested in building and working with innovative technology that shapes the financial markets? Do you like working at the speed of a startup, but want to solve some of the world’s most complex problems? Do you want to work with, and learn from, hands-on leaders in technology and finance?
At BlackRock, we are looking for Software Engineers who like to innovate and solve complex problems. We recognize that strength comes from diversity, and will embrace your unique skills, curiosity, and passion while giving you the opportunity to grow technically and as an individual.
We understand that we have an exceptional responsibility: our technology empowers millions of investors to save for retirement, pay for college, buy a home and improve their financial well-being.
Being a developer at BlackRock means you get the best of both worlds: working for one of the most advanced financial companies and being part of a software development team responsible for next generation technology and solutions.
Tick Data Warehouse and Analytics Team
As a Data Engineer on the Tick Data Warehouse and Analytics Team you will work with our small but growing team to capture and analyze tens of millions of ticks of data daily across asset classes and regions storing them into the largest warehouse of historical data at BlackRock. You will sit at the cross-roads of research, trading, and data science creating analytics for and working with globally distributed teams ranging from research, to the firm’s AI Lab in Palo Alto, to various trading, portfolio management, and alpha-generation teams.
We are seeking a new member who enjoys creative problem solving and has an enthusiasm for learning. In this role you will partner with other high-caliber data engineers both on our team and across the firm to support, develop, and enhance tools and analytics which will continue to raise our team’s profile across the firm
- Implement processes for real-time data collection, storage, and analytics using OneTick
- Proactively support and maintain our existing codebase
- Evaluate, design and build new solutions to enhance our systems using a variety of technologies
- Communicate effectively with other developers, business users, and external vendors
- Perform ad-hoc query and data support to help our users react to dynamics in the financial markets.
- 1+ year of work experience, preferably in a role with exposure to large data sets.
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent experience.
- Excellent problem solving skills
- A willingness to both teach and learn from other team members
- Strong work ethic and a keen sense of accountability and attention to detail
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
Required Technical skills
- 1+ year experience using one or more of the following languages: Python, PERL
- Experience in software development lifecycle using source code control system like Git, SVN, or similar.
- Hands on experience with time-series tick databases and/or data warehouse solutions (e.g. OneTick, kdb+, Sybase IQ, Hadoop)
- Experience working in SQL or any relational databases e.g. Oracle, Sybase ASE
- Experience working with, and passion for, financial products and market data
- Experience working with UNIX/Linux operating system(s) and shell scripting
- Application development experience in Java (Tomcat, Apache, Spring, JDBC, JUnit).
- Experience with manipulation and reconciliation of large data sets.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, ancestry, medical condition, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and also any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.